8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Update: Bell and Howell 2592A eat's film...lol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update: Bell and Howell 2592A eat's film...lol
James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2016 07:35 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd update this post after a couple of days with the Bell and Howell 2592A.

Has a good worm gear--no cracks. The autoload mechanism snaps in and out like new.

However, I've been using some old test films and it is crunching everything I feed it. It will either crinkle the film at the top before the gate or it will jam right at the sound drum.

If I load it manually, it works great. I cleaned the mechanism with alcohol and a q-tip...

Where should I start with this? Seems like I'm missing something simple

[ September 04, 2016, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: James Peterson ]

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2016 12:25 AM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick thought is to the quality of the leader. Good flat laying with no twist or curl leaders feed great. I noticed the thicker and stiffer the leader is (like Protect-a-Print) the better it auto threads on my 2585.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 19, 2016 02:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James
Your problems may lie with your using, as you say, old films. They may not have the curl necessary to go round the various guides.

[ September 19, 2016, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2016 03:31 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, James. You say that the auto mechinism snaps in and out like new, but Is it snapping out before lace up is complete, and before you've pulled the film to release the mechinism?
As already commented, very thin leaders can cause a problem too.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2016 05:18 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'vefound that if the leader has an upward bend it comes out of the threader at the top. And plastic leader is poison. Try a new leader`or bend the end of the leader in the opposite direction and see what happens.

--------------------
Dave

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2016 10:25 AM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James

Have you used any type of adhesive-tape on the film leaders to hold down the film ends? Sometimes the remnants of adhesive cause a mis-thread and that seems more noticeable on reels that have been stored and not run for a while!
Just a thought.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC