8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Who says film is dead?? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who says film is dead??
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2016 04:22 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the price this one fetched!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162247738217?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2016 05:17 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
unbelievable

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 27, 2016 05:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
What is unbelievable to my mind, is that even at these prices, the buyer still has to tolerate strained perf in places as well as the odd emulsion scratch! [Frown]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2016 05:52 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice to see 16mm fetching decent money like super 8 seems to do

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 27, 2016 06:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed David, but it does surprise me whilever films constantly surface with defects just from actually running the films. [Confused]

The prices of Super 8mm feature films varies drastically, once a defect has been highlighted.

In Super 8mm land, it's always, and all about condition, condition, condition.
Only then do we see extremely high resale prices for certain films.

[ October 27, 2016, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2016 06:51 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 02:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just thinking of all the films I could buy for £1809.84.

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 03:04 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you had best come to blackpool Maurice there will be plenty there

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 03:07 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that it's just been relisted due to a non payer. It will be interesting to see what it fetches next time.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 04:04 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that these films that are fetching this kind of money are being run up maybe by friends etc

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 04:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably spot on there David!

Equally, how would know you had a non paying customer so soon after auction has ended?
Only two reasons, one being that the buyer said he had made some kind of mistake,but then waited until auction end to say as much?
The second, well those are rather more sinister thoughts sadly.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 04:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently 2 bids for Jurassic Park at £102, with six days to go.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 06:00 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that some items are 'run up' but I can't believe that anyone would chance their arm to do it to that sort of price - would they? - Madness.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 07:23 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously considered bidding on that as JP is one of my all time favourite movies. But SIX HUNDRED QUID? I'd want Spielberg to sit next to me and give a director's commentary for that money!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 28, 2016 09:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It will fetch a whole lot more than that Stuart, that's for sure!

Maybe not £1800, but more than £600

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 09:23 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was available full length on Super 8 at around £300 mark so there would be better prints around.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 09:37 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, surely if the Super 8 prints are from a 35mm print, and this is an original theatrical print, this one is going to have superior definition and saturation?

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 10:26 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" Re-Listed due to non paying bidder "

I very much hope the seller reported the "buyer" to Ebay....

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 02:38 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart

The super 8 prints that came from Derann. I presume they used a 35mm negative. Print quality was on par with Predator and Aliens etc. The print being advertised looks good I assume a 16mm print has been struck for either foreign markets or for hire to either small cinemas or use on oil rigs etc. I am surprised that a film as late as 1993 was made on 16mm.

Mike

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2016 04:25 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm prints made it as late as 2006-7.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 01:54 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha I had no idea Derann struck prints of JP, I was under the assumption they were imports. In that case I shall have to hunt one down.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 29, 2016 06:07 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1994 I worked for a film lab and we use to make 16mm prints for Disney. While I was there I remember they were working on "Pocahontas". They usually did 2 types of prints. One standard and then one that was labeled "Xenon" Which was timed/color corrected differently for use for the Armed Forces I believe. They couldn't get the sharpness right on a few prints so I had to walk to the dumpster and then throw the soft focus prints in there and let them unspool so that no one would come and take them out of there. I also did that for a few films like a 35mm print of "The Blob". And sadly, numerous others.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2016 10:38 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that these great titles are far more scare than any automobile of the same value, a seller today should be grateful that the hobbyist and the collector are two different buyers. And I can assure you as both a buyer and a seller, that there are hardly any friends when the hammer comes down on those last few seconds of the auction.

What I can say is that there are buyers out there for 16mm where cost does not seem to be a matter because they know how scarce the film is. These people are real, money is no object and are very, very competitive. And then there is the hobbyist, who can only cringe at the closing price...so close yet so far. Glad to see that this hobby can provide happiness to so many, and on the other hand such a frustrating venture when dozens are hunting for the same prize.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2016 04:21 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'when dozens are hunting for the same prize'. Those last few words sum up the whole situation that causes prices to make some of us gasp. There are folk for whom money is no object to getting what they want. Great for sellers methinks.

--------------------
Dave

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 30, 2016 05:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC