8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm help required

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm help required
John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2016 03:52 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently made an Ebay bid on what the seller called "Reel to reel tapes". I could see some 16mm Film in the picture provided so thought I'd take a punt. Turns out all the reels are film, some 8mm, some 16mm, which I am fairly ignorant of. Two of the films are the same, Queen Elizabeth's Wedding (Movitone) except one is much darker in colour and is marked Neg (which I assume means negative.) I can't project them as I have no 16mm projector. Is the neg film one off which prints are struck? does it have any value? please enlighten me.  -

[ November 04, 2016, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: John Yapp ]

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 04, 2016 08:54 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that must be a negative and I expect it was used to produce prints. Although in theory a negative could be expected to have some value, I'm afraid that in reality it may have very little, basically because no one would want it to produce more prints of what was probably a short silent edition, even though it was a historic event, You could possibly try contacting www.moviefone.com just in case they would like to buy it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2016 01:55 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adrian. Both films are in cans, and it it the can that is marked Negative. One film is much darker than the other in colour. which one will be the negative?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 05, 2016 02:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Negative means that the colour that should be white is black and vice versa.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2016 04:40 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I bought a railway film at Harpenden last year that was marked as "dark" - that turned out to be the negative as well.
Still; if I wanted it telecined it should give a better result than from a print.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC