8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » RCA Model 416 - Lamp replacement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RCA Model 416 - Lamp replacement
Patrick Flynn
Junior

- posted November 29, 2016 11:58 AM      Profile for Patrick Flynn   Email Patrick Flynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Sat down last night to watch my new print of James Cagney's "Run For Cover" last night when the outlet shorted out, and I believe burnt out the bulb.

Now the manual I found on film tech is for the RCA 400 series (of which this was the last model) but nowhere in the 100+ pages does it explain the lamp housing, or how to properly remove, or even check, to see if a bulb is still working.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chrome knob on top side of center panel. Turn knob and pull. Panel will tip out with lamp inside.

Patrick Flynn
Junior

- posted November 30, 2016 09:35 PM      Profile for Patrick Flynn   Email Patrick Flynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Barry, thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I've gotten that far. But it's about the physical action to remove the lamp. If I twist it, the bulb loosens ever so slightly, but it doesn't give an inch. I don't want to pull it straight out (like my 8mm projector) because I fear it will rip in two. Do I have to take out the metal housing its encased in or... ?

Thanks.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2016 10:43 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to press down on the lamp and then turn it. With most projectors you turn it counter clockwise. It is usually about a quarter turn.

Patrick Flynn
Junior

- posted December 01, 2016 12:48 AM      Profile for Patrick Flynn   Email Patrick Flynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That did the trick, Barry! Now, would a regular ohm meter be able to give me a reading on the current bulb as if it's still usable? Also, where would I find the type of bulb to replace it, should it need replacing? Thanks again, sorry for all the questions. Still learning. I'm much obliged.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should be able to check continuity with a multi-meter. Use the multi-meter to check voltage to the bulb socket also. I have bought most of my replacement bulbs on Ebay.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 01, 2016 09:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick

As Barry says, you can buy lamps on eBay. Many sellers are featured.

Your projector probably uses the pre-focus lamps which many early projectors were fitted with. Mains voltage for USA.

Usual fitment was a 750 watt for general use, this is coded as DDB. For bigger screens in schools and similar auditoria a 1000 watt can be used, this is coded as DFT.

--------------------
Maurice

Patrick Flynn
Junior

- posted December 01, 2016 01:18 PM      Profile for Patrick Flynn   Email Patrick Flynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you both for your help. I bought a multimeter, and it turns out the bulb holds no charge. Took your advice and purchased a few on ebay for relatively cheap. How do I check continuity on the on the bulb socket - the same as I did for the bulb?

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to have the mains power turned on to the lamp position. Set your meter to test voltage. Then CAREFULLY touch the red probe to the contact in the bottom center of the socket. Hold the red probe there and touch the black probe to the metal on the side of the socket.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC