8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » The Scopitone 16mm Jukebox in Action

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Scopitone 16mm Jukebox in Action
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIQSZ2DwbW8

If you've never seen the "guts" of one of these, here's a quick glimpse of the machine at work. Truly an ingenious design.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing this Claus!

I have never seen one of these. Is this how they played the soundies?

I wonder if any places still use these. I would love to see one in action

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 01:00 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend in derby who has one of these and I have been trying to buy it for the last 10 years he says he will sell it me one day I also have about 100 juke box films

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan,

Yes, you selected a "soundie" like you would a record on a disc jukebox. It's thanks to this technology that we wound up with filmed performances of songs that we otherwise might not have.

Claus.

PS: David, keep trying, don't let it get away! :-)

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2016 08:09 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an astonishing piece of kit. How I envy the clever folk who work these things out. Thanks Claus for making it possible to see the innards.

--------------------
Dave

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 12, 2016 10:34 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 12, 2016 10:35 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply amazing! Reminds me just a little bit of Edison's 24 cylinder phonograph jukebox.
Were there any super 8 Scopitone machines?

Here is an iconic 16mm Scopitone film,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQKzFOidW4

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very very cool! Fascinating mechanism.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2016 04:53 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this nancy Sinatra on 16mm

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2016 06:35 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine also has one of these, but in quite poor condition, he rescued it before it got skipped from a café complete with all the films, but he won't sell it or move it for fear of it falling to bits !!!!!. One look inside tells you don't go near it, unless you know something about relays, lots of them, lots and lots. Did I read somewhere they were built from army surplus electronic parts after the second world war, there is one in the superman movie in the café scene where he fights the baddies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC