8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Possibility of fitting 350 watt xenon lamp in Eiki/Elf EX1500?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possibility of fitting 350 watt xenon lamp in Eiki/Elf EX1500?
David Gardner
Junior

- posted December 30, 2016 03:29 PM      Profile for David Gardner   Email David Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My EX1500 projector is sometimes reluctant to strike and takes several attempts, leading me to think the lamp is on the way out. It uses a 300 watt lamp but I have been offered a 350 watt one as used in the Ex2000 as a possible replacement. The dimensions suggest that it would fit physically, but would this be a wise (or safe!) thing to do? Any advise would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2016 04:43 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd only fit the exact specification as the lamp you are replacing. At best, you could burn out the power supply. At worst, the lamp will explode like a small hand grenade. With these lamps, take no risks!

Ross Gibbs
Junior

- posted January 01, 2017 04:29 AM      Profile for Ross Gibbs   Author's Homepage   Email Ross Gibbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't see why it would explode, might be harder to strike. If you don't have to pay a bomb for it (pardon the pun) I would give it a try.

--------------------
“He felt all at once like an ineffectual moth, fluttering at the windowpane of reality, dimly seeing it from outside.”
― Philip K. Dick, Ubik

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2017 07:07 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No this is one lamp I would not mess about with. Remember the reflector around the lamp is destroyed when a lamp explodes and these are rarer than hen's teeth! Try and fit the exact lamp. Be very careful and google safety advice before starting the job. Very risky job.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2017 04:16 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very experienced re 16mm projectors but I never change my xenon lamp I always get a friend of mine who is the bee knees at changing this type of lamp .I am a very talented piano player and I intend to keep all my fingers .I have know some who have lost their fingers when lamp explodes due to them not knowing how to tackle these correctly

Ross Gibbs
Junior

- posted January 01, 2017 06:38 PM      Profile for Ross Gibbs   Author's Homepage   Email Ross Gibbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are inexperienced with the inner workings of projectors best to use the rated lamp. I have some experience rebuilding and modding 35 and 16 xenons projectors, with precautions and without lamp explosions. Though I have seen the damage done to reflectors after the event while working as a projectionist. I would bench the higher rated lamp to test it before installing it.
If you have no experience repairing or modding, as the guys said above use the right rated lamp. [Smile]

--------------------
“He felt all at once like an ineffectual moth, fluttering at the windowpane of reality, dimly seeing it from outside.”
― Philip K. Dick, Ubik

David Gardner
Junior

- posted January 03, 2017 03:21 AM      Profile for David Gardner   Email David Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks and a happy new year to everyone who responded with helpful advise. I shall heed the warnings and seek out the correct replacement lamp!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC