8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and Howell 644 Disassembly guide.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell 644 Disassembly guide.
Daniel Elliott
Junior

- posted March 12, 2017 11:08 AM      Profile for Daniel Elliott   Email Daniel Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody.
I was recently given a Bell and Howell 644 16mm projector plus around 30 films. As far as I can tell it's mostly functional except for a few things. It's missing the exciter lamp and it will only run in reverse. When I turn on the amplifier I hear a humming just like a valve powered amplifier so I assume that is normal.
I was going to open it up however I cant find the proper way of removing the back knob which prevents the cover from being removed and I dont want to go randomly pulling on things in case I break it.

I've tried to buy a service manual but I keep getting errors when ordering so if anybody knows where I can buy / download one that works I'd be grateful. Also some words of advice on where the problem may lie would me much appreciated too

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 12, 2017 01:37 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The inching knob remains in situ when the back is taken off. Look closely and you will see a plastic ring around it with slots, the cover pulls away from it.
The amplifier is switched on by the volume control knob.
The exciter lamp is a G40 (6volt, 1 amp).
Are you sure you have not set the control knob to reverse.
Oldtimer Cameras can supply what you want. I highly recommend them.
http://www.oldtimercameras.com/manuals/camera-manual-bell-and-howell-644-1184.asp

--------------------
Maurice

Daniel Elliott
Junior

- posted March 12, 2017 05:02 PM      Profile for Daniel Elliott   Email Daniel Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info.
I just ordered myself a repair manual from the site you linked to me so that should be helpful.
The control knob is definitely in the forward position. There is a small clanking noise then everything stops.
When I use the inching knob, I can see that the claws in the gate get stuck when try and push out to grab the film from top to bottom, however, it all works perfectly in reverse.

I'll post an update response when I take a look inside which will likely be tomorrow.

Many thanks.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 13, 2017 03:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget that the lower control knob operates the still position which "clunks" when selected.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC