8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell & Howell Filmsound 202

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell & Howell Filmsound 202
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2017 01:44 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friends lend me a Bell & Howell Filmsound 202.
I know that there's no "rewind belt" in the projector, only top belt, so the projection in rewind is possible only by rewinding the reel with a helping of hand.
But I was wondering: if I move the "rear" belt and put it in the other empty seat (in the top seat) everything is working correctly?
Even the rewinding without film in the path?

P.S. In the picture the missing belt (not my projector).

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 04, 2017 03:03 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi

The top spring belt is much smaller in diameter than the take-up belt and cannot be interchanged. In normal run the top belt imparts some slight drag. In reverse running it will drive the spool.

If you wish to REWIND the film after showing, do the following:-

Remove both spools and reverse their positions
Lead the film over the top from the front to the back
Press the take-up lock lever and lift the spool on the left arm as far as it will go to lock in position
Run projector in FORWARD mode
Disengage the clutch control

The film will now rewind from the top spool to the lower spool.

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 07:51 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Maurice, good ad.
Do you think there's way to know the diameter of this top belt? I could make it from those who cut metal belt's in meter/centimeter and save money.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 05, 2017 09:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2mm

--------------------
Maurice

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 12:07 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
I Have theses in stock (new) part number is 21898 WP 24
$20.00 and postage is $35.00 priority mail
or $15.00 1st class mail
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2017 04:58 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice: thank you, maybe I have a belt of 2mm. You also know the other measure, the length (or diameter or perimeter, if belt already engaged in a circle) of this belt?

Richard: Interestingly, I ponder if I should buy it.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 06, 2017 02:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi
I regret I do not know the length of the belt.
You can get approximate length by estimating the distance needed up to the pulley on the feed arm.

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2017 06:30 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!
The projector works fine in forward mode (also without slight drag), and in reverse with rewindig of top reel by hand.
As I said, I see if I buy the top belt or build it with metallic spare parts.

BUT... now a problem, the sound: I hear only a buzz. Buzz volume increase by increaising the volume knob; maybe so the amplificator cable is connected and works, perhaps...
But I tried with a 16mm optical film, but I still hear only the buzz. What can I do?
Ah, the little lamp next to the audio heads works (is the exciter lamp?).
What do I do?

P.P.S. IMPORTANT, please! The projector run ALWAYS at 24 framerate? Selector switch "sound/silent" don't change also framerate?

Thank you.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 08, 2017 02:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that one, or more, of the amplifier valves may not be working. Or, some associated component such as a resistor or a capacitor is defunct.
The speed change switch may just have dirty contacts.
Remember that this Bell & Howell model was manufactured between 1952 and 1955 and is now really past its prime.

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2017 04:17 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I check it better.
But projector have framerate change? Where is the switch to change it?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 08, 2017 04:57 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speed is selected by the "Sound/Silent" switch.

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2017 07:26 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Maurice. It would be 16fps (or 18fps) with switch in"silent" and 24 fps with switch "sound"?

I discovered another thing: if I lean my ear to the amplificator, I hear the sound. Very very very very low, but it's there. It's a good sign?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 08, 2017 09:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silent would be 16fps or possibly 18fps.
Sound would be 24fps.
If you can hear the film sound but very low it is possible that the sound optics are dirty.
Another problem in old Bell & Howells is that the tiny mirror begins to lose its coating, thus preventing full sound from reaching the photo-electric cell. This mirror is very small and situated behind the sound drum and positioned at 45 degrees to deflect the image from the sound track.

[ April 08, 2017, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2017 03:13 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Maurice, I try with that sound area.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC