8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Hello Complete novice here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello Complete novice here
Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted August 31, 2017 11:15 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to admin for approving my registration.

I've been clearing out my mothers garage and have aquired a Cinetechnic Debrie D16 Professional 16mm sound film projector. It comes with speaker, transformer and cables. To the best of my memory it's not been out of its box for thirty odd years!

I'm hoping to get the old girl up and running [Smile]

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 31, 2017 11:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are great projectors, Richard.
If you need spare lamps, they are coded A1/52, 115 volts, 750 watts. They, of course, fit up-side-down! (There is no exciter lamp.)

--------------------
Maurice

Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted August 31, 2017 11:49 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice

I'll keep adding to this post of the progress made etc

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 31, 2017 01:45 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks in good condition.

--------------------
Dominique

Ian John
Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 05:07 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Richard. The projector in your photo, as you said is a Debrie D16, they are a French made projector, and these machines were popular and used in the British army in the 1960's & 1970,s. I first used the green coloured model of the D16 when I was in the army based in Germany, I used to show all the squaddies a feature film in the middle of some field. I still own the green version of the D16 myself, as has been mentioned, the projection lamp is fitted upside down, and the light from it also acts as an eciter lamp for the optical sound track on the film, that's what makes these good projectors for doing a change-over on if using 2 of them side by side, because when the lamp one projector is turned off, so is the sound also, and when projector 2 lamp is turned on, so is the sound.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2017 05:22 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Richard I have 20 of these one which my father bought new which I still have I also have lots of spares and instruction manuals and brand new lamps i also have films reels and rewind arms has this machine did not have that facility I am based at southport which is not to far away why not pop down and I will advice you and sort you out any spares you need

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2017 02:04 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice condition but because it has been inactive for so long it will almost certainly need work on the amplifier. This model has the old style pressure gate whereas the later models have the famous 'V' gate which was a wonderful innovation to prevent wear and tear of the film emulsion as it passes through the gate. Quite noisy in operation, mostly due to the motor and fan, and they tend to leak oil, but still desirable projectors although very heavy to lug around.

Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted September 01, 2017 07:13 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments and advice chaps [Smile]

Regarding the transformer, would I be correct in thinking that it would be better to simply replace it with a new one?

Any advice on suitable replacement would be appreciated.

Thanks. Richard.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 01, 2017 08:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new transformer would be quite expensive. What makes you suggest replacing the original? If it is OK you should keep it.
Any professional electrician would be able to check it over.

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2017 03:15 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all the spares you want inc transformer drop me a line

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2017 03:32 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice projector. You will likely need to replace capacitors in the amp. You are very, very fortunate to have David Guest in your vicinity.

Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted October 16, 2017 04:47 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning chaps [Smile]
I've searched on the web and I see that operating and repair manuals are available from a site called camera-manual.com.

Is this a known recommended site to you guys and would you advise me to purchase the manulas from them?

Thanks

Richard

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2017 08:41 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old timer cameras is a good source
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjZiou4ofXWAhXHZVAKHXdtACYQFggdMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oldtimercameras.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw2P9JG3QBqJHebizQO35CXe

Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted October 16, 2017 10:23 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Terry, that link took to the same place [Wink]

Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted October 17, 2017 02:41 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next question.... could you guys advise what oil is suitable for this projector? Thanks.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 17, 2017 04:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard
I assume you mean for the oil tank.
In the old days we used standard motor oil, but since the introduction of multi-grade oil for cars they are now not suitable.
So I suggest SAE30 4-Stroke Lawnmower Oil.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Handy-SAE30-4-Stroke-Lawnmower-Engine-Oil-600ml/p/117643

--------------------
Maurice

Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted October 17, 2017 06:14 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, yes I did mean for the tank. Thanks for the link [Smile]

Richard Horton-Bradley
Junior

- posted May 29, 2018 03:46 AM      Profile for Richard Horton-Bradley   Email Richard Horton-Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello chaps. It's been a while since I last posted.. but here is an update. I've had the mains cable to the transformer and transformer to projector replaced ... the previous cables had no earth!! All sorted now.

I couldn't release the oil drain screw, so as there was hardly any oil in the sump I've topped it up.

I've had the motor out of the projector and the rubber bush that turns the drive wheel has perished a bit. Is it possible to get a replacement?

The projector lamp fires up when the switch is turned on and after a few minutes the general sunning noise subsided a bit. I'm guessing the oil application helped.

Finally, with the projector running I turned the amp switch on. there was a pop and a puff of something and the power was cut as it had tripped the mains. Am I guessing the valve or valves have blown? Are replacement s available?

Thanks in advance for help.

Regards Richard.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC