8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Richard Burton Diaries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Richard Burton Diaries
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 13, 2017 04:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently reading "The Richard Burton Diaries" edited by Chris Williams and published by the Yale University Press in 2012.
I thought that 16mm collectors might be interested in Richard's entry written in Paris on 4 October 1968 which I have slightly edited.

"I am absolutely possessed with the idea of buying a large barge and converting it into a river yacht. It would be blissful to go through the French countryside to Marseilles or Germany or Belgium or Holland.
I would buy hundreds of films in 16mm and have a small projection room. Roddy McDowall told me once that he has a library of several hundred films that cost him very little to buy."

And we all know what happened to Roddy McDowall !!!
http://screenanarchy.com/assets/gallery/2016/08/A%20Thousand%20Cuts%20Photo%20Insert%20DBNotes.jpg

I believe that many film stars had the right to 16mm copies of their films written into their contracts. I have a book on Shirley Temple which has a picture of her and her young family watching one of her starring films being projected on a 16mm Ampro projector.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2017 07:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Soddy McDowall was born less than half a mile from where I live.
I wonder how many of us were influenced into collecting by films showing actors and directors showing their movies at home.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 13, 2017 09:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roddy McDowall was born at 204 Herne Hill Road, London SE24, on 17 September 1928.

--------------------
Maurice

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
errol flynn always helped himself to the warners film library, most likely prints he had are still in circulation

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC