8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Projector with 25fps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector with 25fps
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2017 01:52 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Meopta "Meoclub" 16mm projectors series have 18 and 25fps, instead of standard of 24fps.
I don't know why Meopta made this choice, but this could affect the viewing of mute films and films with optical and magnetic audio? And of amateur movies shot at 24 fps? And with rec feature of some Meopta?
25fps is it influential on image or sound? In some demonstration videos on Youtube it seems all right.
Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 27, 2017 02:47 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My engineer tells me that most 16mm Bell & Howells run at 25fps.
The slightly faster speed is probably not discernible by the ears.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2017 05:48 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that would explain where there wasn't much, if any flicker on my home telecine attempts with a PAL video camcorder and a B&H 2692.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2017 11:58 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I did not know about Bell & Howell.
If I have a Meopta, I will also make amateur telecinema tests.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 28, 2017 07:27 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many projectors (all the "récent" ones) have a 18 fps speed instead of the classical 16 fps. Some allow to project also at 16 fps but you have to change a pulley. That's a problem with convertef (to 9.5) projectors as many amateur films were shot and sonorized at 16 fps. Unfortunately, the difference, at these slower speeds is noticeable.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 29, 2017 03:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good point made by Dominique, particularly in regard to home movies originally shot at 16fps.

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2017 05:44 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True also the point of 16/18.
And even then, there is no difference of audio and image.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 30, 2017 02:12 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is,Luigi. The people will walk faster on the screen at 18 fps than at 16 fps. The sound will also be altered.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2017 05:24 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, Dom. Now I have a Meopta Meoclub 16 Electronic 2, I can make a "speed" test.

For my Meopta model experts: the projector doesn't have the motor belt, which I have already found at Wittner and co..
Do you confirm that it has two belts+motor belt? The other two belts have "teeth". In my projector there are only other two belts, but in good condition.

Another question: I also have to change the lamp for optic sound. In Electronic "1" version manual says Philips 2 7253 C o Atlas G 29, cheap and fortunately found. In Electronic 2 manual says only 4v 0,75 A, but I think the two lamp models are always good, what do you say?

Thank you.

[ November 07, 2017, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Luigi Castellitto ]

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2017 10:46 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Probably off-topic reply,but hey...)

The older projectors with governer speed-controlled universal motor will give the option to "fine-tune" the speed. I managed to set my Elmo 16-f projector to be EXACTLY 25.0 FPS for my telecine setup. Completely flicker-free in PAL video speed. [Smile]

But for Super 8 transfer there must be quite a compromise - at 18 fps you'll sure get moderate flickering. Gotta run it at 16.67(50/3)fps to be flicker-free,which will lower the audio pitch somewhat. But since ALL costomers never complain/notice,so I won't bother to correct this "issue". [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2017 09:03 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector arrived, I had to change the motor belt and excited lamp, but now it's all Ok, except magnetic audio that not works (maybe I open another post).

With movies films with optical audio all fine with 25fps, I did not notice any differences in picture and speed [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC