8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Elf RT1 - Amplifier maintenance question / advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elf RT1 - Amplifier maintenance question / advice
Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2017 05:06 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

My 16mm Elf RT1 has the infamous crackling volume issue and on searching I can came across a website that instructs on how to fix it:

http://www.reeldeals.com.au/eiki/eiki.htm

"First, remove the flywheel by unscrewing its retaining screw – (it may be necessary to grasp the sound drum from the front of the machine if the screw is tight) Then unplug the 3.5mm plug to the solar cell and the 9-pin power connector plug."

My question is after I've removed the flywheel I can't tell what or where the "3.5mm plug...and the 9-pin power connector" are located.
Could anybody shed light or describe where and what exactly should I be looking for please? Unfortunately there's no clear photos on the site.

Also as a lubricant for the volume pot I'm thinking of using DeOxit D5, as that was what's been advised on other forums for such work.

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2017 06:08 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! you can locate the 3.5mm plug marked on this photo

-

The 9 pin power conector is jut the conection at the end of the grey cable that the amplifier have,you must pull very very carefull to disconect it just like plug and play.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2017 04:37 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Jose for your quick reply.
Seems like it's literally just behind the flywheel, staring me in the face.

I'll have a look when I get back home tonight.

Thanks again

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2017 05:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can
£25 for a can of De-Oxit D5 from UK Amazon, or, you can try a free method of fixing the crackling volume control.
Just operate the knob a number of times, backwards and forwards, with the speaker connected (so that you can judge when the noise goes).
The movement of the slider over the carbon track should self lubricate and clear the crackle.
Try it before you start to take out the amplifier.

--------------------
Maurice

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2017 08:05 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice for your advice.

I'll try what you suggested first before I get too deep into taking apart the Elf.

Cheers,
C.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC