8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Reely crazy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reely crazy
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 02, 2017 02:25 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't normally grumble about the prices of reels as no one is forced to buy them, but I felt this offer on ebay is breathtaking in terms of charging a vast (£24.99) price for a battered old metal reel that some of us would probably throw away!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profes sional-Gebescope-1600ft-Cap-Min-16mm-Metal-Rare-With-Flat-Surface/182809035439?hash=item2a904482af:g:nI8AAOSwA3dYjL2S

Note the list of 'attributes'!

A 400' Tuscan reel is a relatively modest £14.99, though! What beats me is that enough customers buy them to make such crazy prices worth a try. Considering that you'll generally pay far less for reels with films on them, I wonder if the seller is throwing away bins full of routine documentaries, to facilitate getting enormous prices for just the reels!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2017 02:37 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree that it is very overpriced, but not so badly damaged that it could quite easily be made good, because it is of steel construction.
There are quite a lot of reels on eBay lately that have silly price tags. I wonder if they ever sell?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2017 03:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can it be described as professional?
I agree with Adrian's comments, ridiculous price for a crappy old spool.
Many years ago, in the days of Amateur Cine World magazine, an advertiser was selling 1600ft spools for 5/- each. I bought quite a few and they were all in superb condition.
However, buying metal spools are better buys that the newer plastic spools. With poor packing the latter type invariably arrive cracked or broken. With a metal spool it can nearly always be bent back into position.

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2017 04:28 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Tuscan blue spool and can 400ft 1200ft 1600ft 2000ft all like new for sale also got same sizes in cecolite orange all for sale anyone wanting any email what you want and I wil take them to blackpool
email me on dwgdodgems@hotmail.co.uk

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2017 05:37 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same seller also £14.99 for an empty black GrassoSuper8 spool https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Grasso-Black-Super-8mm-Plastic-Reel-400ft-Film-Minimum-Cap-2-Design/182857550330?hash=item2a9328c9fa:g:hM4AAOSwWxNY19yW
Only £9.99 for a 200ft one!!!
But £34.99 for a Schneider 800ft Super 8 spool????
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Schneider-Super-8mm-Black-Plastic-Reel-800ft-Film-Minimum-Capacity/182823088103?hash=item2a911aefe7:g:LZYAAOSwxu5ZM~hJ

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 03, 2017 06:05 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yee Gods this sort of thing really gets me down.

Talk about trying to sell things way above thier value.

Probably got them for next too nothing or free too.

Nuts.

That damaged metal reel really is a give away item looking at it

Best Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2017 06:22 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will find the seller is a member of these forums.

Kevin

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 03, 2017 06:32 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they will have to excuse my groaning but its not helping the hobby.

I have some free metal 800s and a 1200 if any one would like them.

( not to sell though please ).

Best Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2017 06:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't criticising your comments or that of anyone else Mark, everyone is entitled to their view of what represent ethical selling and maybe even profiteering I guess, but it seemed worth pointing out that this is not someone unknown to us and in fact is a person who has done great good for the hobby in very recent times.

Kevin

PS: and it isn't me as I'm sure you know!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 03, 2017 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did`nt think you were Kevin just did`nt want to upset any forum member/s.

My modest 16mm collection are mainly on all the lovely new and newy reels I got from you at super fair prices !!!

But thats at the real and kindly enthusiast level.

Great that they have done a lot for the hobby.

But £35 for an 800 feet super 8 reel.

It does make you wince a little.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC