8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Elmo 16-CL Look Alike

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo 16-CL Look Alike
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 10, 2017 03:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Members may be interested to know that the Elmo 16-CL has a look alike in the Hokushin SC-210.
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/321851472862-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
I have recently bought one which I understand was manufactured under a licence from Elmo.
There are slight differences from the Elmo. Two tone controls (Bass & Treble) and the LOW/HIGH lamp switching is on the rotary control knob. In addition to the internal speaker it has a detachable side cover with two speakers.
My model has a suffix "M" as it also has magnetic playback.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 10, 2017 04:03 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nearly bought one a while ago Maurice but it was only 220 volts so left it as not so sure as we still seem to have a solid 240 up here.

I`ve had isses with Eiki 220 machines blowing lamps etc in the past, though should be OK really.

It looks as if the front sprocket the film goes under it rather that over it on the CL ?

Nice looking machine.

I like the film drum on the Cl and these as they are on the base side of the film so you get less wear and tear thank an Eiki. Less bitty wear if you will.

The films on my eikei never scracthed except once when the sound drum pressuered roller stuck, fine once cleaned out and siliconed etc, but the new trailers I can on its all have more dust etc than ones run on a CL, even though you have that emulsion sprokect run on the 1st sprocket on a CL.

My Trailers of course do run an awful lot.

Was it a UK or Germany/Oversea`s etc buy Maurice ?

Best Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2017 05:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it looks more like an Eiki slot loader Maurice - especially because of the two lamp settings on the rotary control and separate bass and treble knobs.

I will certainly be interested to see the internal pictures when you receive it so we can then work out where the main design came from for certain.

There is a direct Elmo 16CL clone which was released by Kodak, the CT1000, which looks exactly the same as the Elmo.

Kevin

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 10, 2017 07:56 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you see them inside they do look like they are based on the CL, probably made by Elmo for them.

Supposed to be nice and Quiet too.

Best Mark.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 10, 2017 08:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak is of course only badged as such. It was made by Elmo.
No doubt the Hokushin differs slightly otherwise it would have killed sales of the Elmo,

--------------------
Maurice

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2017 10:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably their license insisted it differed aesthetically Maurice - I would still appreciate seeing some pictures of the innards when you get it - the 16CL is my favourite 16mm home use projector, easy to fix, quiet and very basic in operation so little to go wrong once the rollers and take up mods are done.
Also if it takes the same unusual sized Elmo lens barrel diameter would be another tell tale sign of its origins.

I recall the Japanese copiers I worked on in the 70's and 80's were nearly all badged / slightly modified from the same manufacturers - Nashua, Ricoh, Infotec, Savin, ABDick etc. - the theory being why reinvent something that already works just licence and make them for your own company and save the design costs.

Kevin

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 10, 2017 10:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with all my projectors when acquired it is with my service engineer for an overhaul to ensure it's 100% to begin life in my collection.
When this has been done I will have information on its condition and how it differs from the Elmo.

--------------------
Maurice

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2017 10:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good plan to me Maurice.

Cheers, Kevin.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC