8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B & H Filmosound 631 power cord etc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B & H Filmosound 631 power cord etc
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 04:51 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Bell & Howell Filmosound 631 doesn’t have the power cords for either the projector or amp section.
Whenever I see these for sale lately they have missing power cords!
Why?

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 27, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton
The model 631 projector uses a special Y-lead. Very difficult to replace.
As regards missing mains leads, it is possible that they go astray as there is nowhere to store them, unlike the modern Bell & Howells.

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2017 05:38 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,
Lucky for me when I contacted the guy he had found the y shaped one,and the transformer that goes with it.
So I have everything that it needs to operate.
I will give it a run soon [Smile]

Now I need a manual to complete it.

[ December 27, 2017, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Clinton Hunt ]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 28, 2017 02:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton
Good for you. I expect you are aware that this Forum has access to many manuals through Film Tech.
Your 631 is a British designated model but you can find on the following site the US model 285 which is very similar. It can give most details that you need.
Click on below link and go to 16mm projectors, and then scroll down to the Bell & Howell 285 and click again.
http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=2#16mm Projectors

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2017 03:49 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oau-PvVdorM

Thanks for the info Maurice and I will download the manual to help me.
And as you can see in the video,the previous owner had named and drawn important info [Smile]

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2017 04:34 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the cords not been supplied is a safety issue? If the cables are old the insulation is properly starting to fail.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2017 05:43 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
what initially happened was that I didn’t think I needed the transformer so I left it with him,however,with the transformer were the leads as well.
and I forgot to ask at the time.
Thankfully he is only a 20 min drive from me so it wasn’t a concern.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 28, 2017 05:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton, some models do work straight to 230 volts and don't need a transformer.

Good point, David. But some of the old leads are irreplaceable with their special connections. I suppose that's modern life with its safety requirements.

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2017 04:28 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is a 110v Projector and its lamp is 110v 750w so it needs the transformer.Im going to replace the power cord on the transformer at least.
I’ve had it running today and it goes great,good brightness and sound is good,needs more treble but the bass is great.
It takes up a lot of room,the speaker box is nearly as big as the projector box!
And I was told that it doesn’t have the plastic worm gear.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 29, 2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gently clean the sound optics using a blower brush, including beside the sound drum, (there is a small mirror which deflects the sound beam onto the PEC). This may improve your treble.
Don't forget the oiling points above near the still operation knob.
Indeed, A good old brass worm. [Smile]

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2017 04:19 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice Maurice,
I've cleaned that with my blower brush but couldn't see the tiny mirror,is it very small?
And when you say "there is a small mirror which deflects the sound beam onto the PEC" what does PEC stand for?
I haven't had a chance to test the sound again but will soon [Smile]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 31, 2017 02:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton
You can't see the mirror as it's very small and hidden behind the sound drum. This is why I said to use a blower brush, this would avoid any direct contact with the mirror.
As you probably know the amplifier slides up into the mechanism. Directly behind the mirror when the amp is in position is the PEC, i.e. the photo electric cell, this looks somewhat like a valve and it converts the light images into a sound signal. The amplifier does the rest.
I assume the film has a good sound track. Have you tried a second film for a sound check?

--------------------
Maurice

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2017 04:15 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice for that info.
I have tried another film and it sounds ok as well.
I think I am just used to the sound from my Eiki Slotload II.
It’s a great projector so all is good [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC