8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » No Need for Blue Filter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No Need for Blue Filter
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 10, 2018 03:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure we all have a set of blue colour filters to enhance a print with fading/faded colours.
I was using my 644 with its conversion to use the Xenpow HID 150 lamp and was surprised that a slightly faded print looked so good.
Talking with my engineer he remarked that an ELC lamp has a light output of 3400K, whereas the Xenpow's output is 6500K. The higher the colour temperature the more content of blue.
So why not convert to using the Xenpow? You won't regret it. The white light is astonishing and will probably fill a 12ft screen with ease.

[ January 14, 2018, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 11:05 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice who did your lamp conversion for you on your 644 ?

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 10, 2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Kevin Brown made the conversion and did a splendid job.
The projector on the outside is as original except for a new small toggle switch fitted on the panel to the right of the tone and volume controls.

--------------------
Maurice

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2018 05:14 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice thanks for letting me know. I am very tempted with such a conversion.

Can he do all Bell & Howells ?

[Smile]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
The best models are the large 642 type series which have the 1000 watt lamp and also a still device.
The fan on these models is removed to make way for the ballast, and the still device is necessary for conversion to a dowser.
The new lamp, only being 150 watts, is cooled by fitting a new small electric fan. This remains on as soon as the projector is connected to the mains.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 03:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, Maurice. Is it possible to convert Elf/Eiki projectors as well ? And super 8 projectors ?

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 04:00 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had my 655 serviced by Kevin, I asked him if he could do a lamp conversion, and he said not on this type.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 04:12 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, i wish to have my NT1 serviced by Kevin, we were planning to drive it there and back, or get work mates to take it as our head office is in Mansfield and the hotels they use are in Nottingham, however, my question is, do you chaps send your machines to him or do you take them personally?
The only reason for my asking is two fold,
It is a 5 hour drive each way for us, ( i dont always like other people not in the hobby handling my projectors, never trusted anyone in the past),
Bearing in mind the weight and how fragile these machines are, how on earth to do send via a courier and what sort of price would it cost?
I am keen keen to have Mr Brown do the work due to his excellent reputation in the 16mm field,

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 06:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have known Kevin Brown for some ten years and drive up about twice a year. This is a 276 miles round trip from Bristol.
Couriers should never be trusted with such a fragile piece of equipment.

--------------------
Maurice

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 06:36 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert thats strange he could not do a 655 as the mech and layout is much the same as a 644 machine.

Maurice thanks again. Do you know if Robert is correct can 652s or 655s not be done or even TQ 1s ? [Smile]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 08:16 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, i think your right, besides, at least by talking face to face everything can be explained properly. [Wink]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 08:32 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, He said he could only do those that had the obsolete quartz lamps like the 655Q. I stocked up with about 22 of those 1,000 watt lamps, so I'm OK. Hugh Scott did send me a photocopy of an article that appeared in Movie Maker which shows that these projectors of the 60s can be converted to modern lamps.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 08:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Kevin is the only person who can explain what projectors can be done, and those that can't.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 08:41 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked him at the time I was getting a quote for a service and a new worm gear. Just been looking on Paul Ivester's site, and he lists 2 644 models, one takes a 240 volt 1000 watt lamp, and the other takes a 24 volt 250 watt lamp.

Tom, I sent mine by courier, and received it back OK, but the worry for me was that it could land on it's head and break the handle or casing. I wouldn't like to trust any courier again, and although it's a great inconvenience for you, it would be better to take it in person, and collect it after. That way you can be sure of getting your precious projector back in one piece, and it will give you years of service afterwards.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 10:18 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert & Maurice,thats my mind made up [Wink]
I shall arrange it with Mr Brown in February, Cheers [Wink]
BTW Maurice, sorry for changing the subject there [Embarrassed]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 01:32 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been speaking to Kevin on the matter of conversion to Xenpow HID 150 lamps. It is important to stress that these lamps must stay on for the complete duration of a show, including the relacing of film as and when necessary. Therefore, a Bell & Howell for conversion must have a still device which is used for a dowser. Also, there must be space for the Ballast and a new continuous fan.

The most ideal models for conversion are the 642, 643, 644, 655, and 666. However, Kevin can also convert the green TQIII models such as the 1695 as the fan arrangement here is different. It is important that the still device is solenoid operated. TQII models cannot be done, nor can Elf or Elmo as there is no room for a new continuous fan, also their still arrangement is different.

Note that Kevin does not accept Super 8 projectors.

The comments made by Robert do not appear to actually refer to the HID 150 conversion, but to some other form of lamp conversion which he may have discussed with Kevin.

If anybody is seriously considering a Xenpow HID 150 conversion I am sure that Kevin would be able to confirm if their Bell & Howell model is acceptable.

[ January 15, 2018, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 02:21 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Maurice, it was a different type of lamp, the ELC 24 volts 250 Watts.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Robert.

That clears it up.

Yours was the first model 655, this used the 1000 watt lamp, then came the 655Q which was now badged as the TQI and used the A1/235 lamp (24 volts 250 watts.)

Then, a little later came the 655QE (quartz economy) which had a two position lamp switch.

Many years later, due the popularity of the ELC lamp Bell & Howell introduced a kit to replace the A1/235 with the A1/259 (ELC) lamp. This is what is being referred to here.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 03:10 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your answers, Maurice. Disappeard go that Eiki projectors (and probably super 8 machines because of the lack of room for new fans) cannot be upgrated.

--------------------
Dominique

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 05:36 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again guys for clarifying about the Bell & Howell lamp conversions.

I think I am going to go for it later in the year too.
I am going to chance a courier because its one hell of a journey down from here in Johnshaven in Scotland.

I am going to pack it in a box within a box within a box with loads of bubble wrap and other stuff.
Its going to be one helluva size of a box but hey better safe than sorry.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 15, 2018 05:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
I see it's almost 400 miles for you door to door, may I suggest using UPS as I have always found them to be satisfying unlike Hermes and Yodel.
As regards the necessary still device, the Bell & Howell system uses a solenoid which, as you know, is electrical, therefore can be wired up as necessary. In fact, my 644 has been rewired so that the rotary control when in the "Light On" position actually lifts the dowser, and vice versa.

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 15, 2018 01:09 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect to add to the flood of projectors heading to Kevin before long, so considering that he must now be receiving some that Bill would have worked on, does anyone know roughly how long a typical service/repair would take at present?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2018 02:29 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice thanks for that advice.
Yes I will use UPS when sending my projectors off to Kevin.
[Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC