8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 'Missing' 16mm TV prints

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Missing' 16mm TV prints
Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2018 12:33 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that Amazon UK has a listing for 'The Avengers - Tunnel of Fear' that will be released on DVD in April for £17.99.

The recovery of this previously 'lost' episode on 16mm was directly due to a forum member mentioning that they had it on this forum in 2016.

I obviously don't know the ins and outs of how it made it's way, via the television preservation group 'Kaleidoscope' to studiocanal and onto DVD.

It would be interesting to hear any background on the details and whether it is worthwhile (either financially or just for the kudos) for other members who may have 'lost' 16mm TV prints in their collections to consider returning them to the TV archives for a similar DVD release to 'The Avengers'.

I should add, I do not have any 16mm films at all, let alone 'lost' TV.

[ February 11, 2018, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Gary Sayers ]

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 12, 2018 03:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I regret that I have no knowledge of the workings of Kaleidoscope but I do know that Talking Pictures TV do borrow films from collectors for a fee, and if, following a TV transmission, a DVD is produced the collector will receive a free copy.

Certain conditions have to be met.

Talking Pictures TV have the access rights to many films, but a few titles of them have no useable copies available, either 35mm or 16mm.
In such a case they would be interested in a temporary loan from a collector who has a copy in a suitable condition for a TV transmission.

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2018 08:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rights holders generally don't pay,only borrow prints to copy, but other organisations like Kal do buy prints. That is what happened in the Avengers case, the seller wished to remain anonymous as is recorded in Alan Hayes book on the Avengers series one.

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2018 12:19 PM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting about Talking Pictures TV. I didn't know that they did this. Wonder if that's why they sometimes show Castle Films 'cut-downs' - borrowed from a collector perhaps?

Shame that rights holders don't generally pay for returned prints. Some sort of 'finders fee' for anyone returning prints would be a good idea.

After all, any collector that has spent time and money preserving these previously 'junked' films should be rewarded.

Also, there's still quite a market for classic TV in repeats or on DVD and the profits for the rights holders would certainly make a fee worthwhile.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 26, 2018 02:04 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently spotted an obscure old film on Talking Pictures (can't recall the title) that was clearly a 16mm print with multiple scratches and quite a few splices. If I'd loaned it for a fee, I'd have been delighted, because the fee would almost certainly have been more than the print was worth!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC