8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » ELMO 16CL load and play problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO 16CL load and play problems
Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 11:09 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, am sure the following has been answered many times, but Im new to the Elmo CL16 (I own several Elfs and they are just wonderful) OK I load teh film as intended, put the projector into play and I get sound that is either on or off, plus the film sometimes bunches and tears. Ive cleaned the rollers with rubber restore liquid, and carefully lubed the spindles, but its almost as if the film isnt reaching the optical head, but in off position you can rotate the spools (like a reel to reel) and sound is heard, go into play, occasional sound, bunching and then a quick tun off of the projector. Dont get me wrong I love my two elmo gs1200s but ths CL makes me want to put it in the bin, I daren't run a film for fear of concertinaing the film(bunching etc) and with on off sound whats the point. Help!!!!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 01:34 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark
With the CL you put the film into the channel of the projector and thread the film into the take up reel,once you turn the machine to the forward position it loads the film itself ready to play,Mark
Try this as it may help.
https://youtu.be/qTyLbr0BIFk

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also experienced the no-sound issue after loading, stopping and restarting the machine usually works. I guess something is slightly out of whack.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2018 07:51 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chaps. I can get the loading just fine, its when the film starts to play that the problems occur. There is a definate sideways shift of the film when in the film channel, you can see it actually move nearer to the side of the projector, this away from the optical 'eye'. Is there away of realigning/checking the film guide channel? Im assuming it should be lateral with no deviation? Thank you

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 09, 2018 08:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
Film Tech manuals have a service manual for the Elmo 16 CL.
http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=2#16mm Projectors

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2018 08:52 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark B.
It sounds to me like you need to replace your rollers with a new set. The original rollers that I've seen and replaced on two 16CLs couldn't be restored by simply using a liquid solution...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2018 12:57 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Sounds like the large flange roller is out of sink
Which keeps the film in place.
Try removing it and lightly sand the shaft that it goes on
Clean The inside of the roller too and lube
Are the rollers sticky? if so replace all Rollers
Don't Buy the plastic ones Get the rubber ones also on the flange roller Elmo made 2 different ones,one is spring load the other is not
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 03:21 PM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys
Large flange roller, OK
Can I get rubber rollers in the UK or who in the USA sells them?

Cheers

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2018 02:21 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, Bill P had some material to re-cover the rollers, he may still have some.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 13, 2018 02:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
Urbanski Film in the USA.
http://www.urbanskifilm.com/elmo.html

--------------------
Maurice

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2018 09:30 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
I also have these Rollers
Complete set of 4 Elmo Rollers
16mm 16-CL optical & 16-AL
$125.50 plus core charge of $40.00 on 4.
Total: $165.00
Core charge refunded when returned
Also set of 5
Or by themselves
There on my web site
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC