8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Claw protrusion tool

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Claw protrusion tool
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 15, 2018 03:22 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these items available to purchase anywhere. Mainly for the Elf but i would assume they may be a general use tool.

[ June 07, 2019, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2018 04:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four layers of acetate stock stuck together with CIR tape I think is about right protrusion wise Tom - or perhaps try adding layers of film to the 'pack' then adjust to that until it works and keep it as a setting up jig for future reference.

You will know when the setting is right as splices should go through without loosing loops and the chatter noise will be minimal too.

In the absence of an official Elf / Eiki jig this may be your best bet.

Kevin

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 15, 2018 05:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Kevin.i will try that. As it happens all splices go through ok, noise seems fine. Whats happening is this,
Clean a film and put it through and its 100% perfect. Polyester stock films also 100% perfect. If i leave an acetate stock film for year then project again the image is shaking. The pressure plate springs seem fine but if i put a small amount of cleaner on the film again its fine. I thought it may have been a tweak of the claw but perhaps not.i dont wish to have to clean a film each time before viewing as this would be abnormal.
It does seem to be the older prints that do this occassionaly and i know the prints are fine [Wink]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2018 05:44 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would leave the claw as it is for now. Again this is from memory Tom - I think the pressure plate top and bottom springs are different - when you gave the projector your very thorough service did you put them on the other way 'round? This would cause some, but not all, films to have a different drag in the gate.

Also the side gate adjustment which keeps the film in the correct place allowing for the claw to enter the perforation holes - acetate film may have some shrinkage / cupping (length ways curl) so the claw is hitting the perf hole edges - if the film is very wet with cleaner this would not notice so much.

Kevin

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 15, 2018 02:16 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin, yes the longer spring is at the bottom, i made sure of that as it gives a little extra pressure where the film exits and forms the loop. [Wink]
I have a spare pressure plate that i got from a fellow collector so i may switch them over to try that.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC