8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Cores

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cores
Brian Sarnowski
Junior

- posted April 19, 2018 09:25 PM      Profile for Brian Sarnowski   Email Brian Sarnowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious. I know there are two sizes of cores. One mimics the circumference of a 400ft reel center and is about 2in in diameter, while the other mimics the circumference of a 6/8/1200ft reel and is about 4in in diameter. Now I guess logic would dictate that if your item is more than 400 foot put it on the larger core but I’ve seen 1600 foot items on the smaller core. Is there any benefit in utilizing the cores in this way or is it simply more of an aesthetic.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 20, 2018 02:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably depends on the length of film and the size of the container into which it will fit.

--------------------
Maurice

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2018 02:08 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not put any acetate film on a core of less than 3 inches for any kind of long term storage.

The issue is that film has "memory", and for long term storage, the film may not unwind properly for smooth running if tightly curled on a small diameter core.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2018 03:35 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.

Brian, just caught this and wanted to offer condolences on the recent passing of your father. Also, it's good to see you here, as well as that you're continuing to offer stuff on eBay.

Brian Sarnowski
Junior

- posted April 30, 2018 01:49 AM      Profile for Brian Sarnowski   Email Brian Sarnowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell, that makes sense, thank you.

Bill, Thank you very much. I’m overwhelmed by the amount of his regular eBay customers and friends he’s made over the years who have offered similar condolences. Fortunately he did pass some of his knowledge on to me, but unfortunately there is still so much I have to learn. I still marvel at his ability to turn a lifelong passion into a full-time career and I’m happy that everyday he got to do what he loved.

Hopefully I’ll be able to get more of his stuff on eBay in the next few months. He had a unique organizational system to say the least, lol, so perhaps when I can finally start making sense out of everything it’ll go a little smoother.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, you're so very welcome. He was too young, and serious film guys like him are too few. But sounds like you're finding some enjoyment in working through his film passion. I certainly hope so, and you can count on forum friends for when you need info or help or just a virtual ear!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC