8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Is it safe to run a film with sprockets repaired with metal tape/clip(?) ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it safe to run a film with sprockets repaired with metal tape/clip(?) ?
Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 05:48 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've acquired a 16mm print of a tv show and it has quite a few splices, for its age I guess it's understandable.
However I've noticed some of the damaged sprockets were "repaired" with what appears to be metal like tape(?). From profile view it appears to be about 1mm thick.
I have a funny feeling this isn't safe to run through a project, could damage the claw, but just wanted to make sure.

Is it okay to do so?

Does anyone know what the of sprocket damage is repaired with exactly?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2018 06:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TV prints sometimes come with foil sensing tape that would fit exactly between two sprocket holes. A repair would go around them, not merely between. Sensing tape was used for automated cueing. While getting rid of them would probably be the best thing, I don't think running them through your projector is likely to damage anything so long as the adhesive isn't bleeding, and so long as they adhere well enough to not come loose in the projector.

If that description doesn't match what you have, please upload a photo of it!

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2018 08:47 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 mm thick tape? [Eek!] Must be some misunderstanding here.

Generally if the tape is still flexible when you bend the film,that shouldn't harm the projector in anyway.

If you have lots of splice to repair then invest in a CIR splicer,especially the one with wrap-around design. Easier to use&good for sprocket damage repair.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 16, 2018 02:41 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damaged 16mm prints were often repaired with a continuous strip of new perforations which was laid over the damaged section.
If this is the case, your print should be OK unless the strip is not adhering to the film.
If the strips are silver then they are cues, being metallic they operated readers as they passed through. Sometimes small pieces are between perforations, but the strips were also supplied on rolls and were often applied along the perforations and then re-perforated by a CIR splicer.

[ May 16, 2018, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 16, 2018 06:15 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've frequently come across the metal cues in-between sprocket holes, but not the punched through type. Wish I could buy some of that tape, though, as perhaps it would be ideal for short sprocket repairs!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 10:51 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill, I've attached photos of what I'm talking about.

-

Okay so it's not exactly 1mm but very close.
I've taken shots of them flat on too as can be seen in the second and third photo.
There's a few of them throughout the film.

Interesting info there Maurice. I wonder if these metallic strips are what you're describing.

I have an Elf RT1 and ST/M, before I run the film through I just wanted to make sure these metal bits won't damage or harm either the projector or film.
Thanks

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 17, 2018 02:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are obviously silver metallic cue marks. They should run OK.
You could try to remove one by lifting a corner and then a gentle pull. There might be some sticky residue left which you can remove with isopropyl alcohol.

--------------------
Maurice

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 07:28 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! Yes, these are cue blips, which won't hurt anything so long as no adhesive is loose or runny.

Residue comes off nicely as well with your favorite petroleum-distillate-film-cleaner (FilmGuard, FilmRenew, Vitafilm, or just plain extra light mineral spirits).

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 09:41 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK,definitely metal cue foil tape. [Big Grin]
Remove it as your desire. Won't hurt a thing for sure.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 05:03 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you gents.
Weren't exactly sure what they were but now I do, metal cue marks:)
I played the film and it ran through fine. Noticed a few jumps but that was from the splices it had.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC