8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Minette Sixteen Editor/Viewer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Minette Sixteen Editor/Viewer
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2018 01:25 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently acquired one of these. I wasn't aware that Minette made a 16mm version but I have to say that it is a very impressive machine. Very heavy and beautiful build quality and it works faultlessly. Large screen an bright picture.The only downside is that it uses a 6v 25w bulb which could be difficult to find a replacement for. However I'm pretty sure that it could easily be modified to take a more readily available bulb.
Anyone got one of these? and what are your thoughts.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it was built to last a lifetime.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2018 05:06 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Robert I would agree with that. I always favoured the Muray 16mm editor, but I consider this to be superior in many ways. Perhaps not so easy to convert to 9.5mm, but as a dedicated 16mm editor, hard to beat.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2018 01:25 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had to create an eBay listing to provide some pictures. The price is designed to prevent a purchase [Smile]
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332662490263

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2018 10:27 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to replace it with 12v auto headlamp? Done that on my super8 viewer (with new transformer,of course). [Confused]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2018 11:24 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, your viewer looks very nice. I have wanted to find one of those for sell here in Japan but they hardly come up for sell even here.

There is also 16mm rewinds that Minette made specifically for this viewer that were sold separately that mount underneath this viewer. I purchased a pair a of these rewinds but I am unable to use them because one of the gears need to be replaced.

I will try and upload a few pictures of the rewinds when I have time.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 01:48 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nantawat
I have actually found a source of 6v 25w car headlight bulbs and have one on order, so when it arrives I will see how it performs. Should be ok because there is adjustment on the bulb holder to get the filament aligned.
Jason
That's very interesting about the Minette rewinds. I had no idea there were matching ones. Would love to see pictures.
It seems that the Minette Sixteen is quite rare. I've never seen one before, but it's a really well designed/built viewer and it surprises me that it wasn't more popular.
I'm surprised also that no one on the Forum has got one or has had one.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 09:06 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done on finding a source of bulbs.That looks really good Terry; I love these solid built cine items, made before the plastic disposable age. Glad you didn't list it with a BIN price; you never know.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 04:43 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe it! I've actually got a watcher at £250 plus postage! Would I sell it?
I really don't know, but I would have to consider it.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 09:03 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add "make an offer" option,and let's see how far can it goes. [Big Grin]

BTW the reason I recommend a 12V mod. is that will be probably dead easy to find a replacement lamp. Personally I might go as far as trying some 12V LED in it. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 10:17 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a time that I did not have 16mm editor and I wanted to take it. I just missed a good purchase, and I found it with the included rewinders, but it was in a bundle and the seller did not want to sell it only.
I think it's the best 16mm portable viewer editor, along with the Muray De Luxe. Better if included with rewinders, strong and capacious like those sold with Muray.
There are two versions, "horizontal" (like the linked eBay ad) and "vertical":
 -

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 06:27 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a picture of the Minette 16 from a catalog in Japan.

It shows that Minette sold a Professional model with a 12V 50W lamp and a fan built in!

-

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 01:21 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to get a set of those rewinds. Anyone got a set for sale?

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 09:43 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, which of the two is reported as "professional"? The one on the left? It seems to have space for the fan.
Perhaps there is a third model...
I also note that the horizontal version may not possibly accommodate rewinders, maybe.

Terry, I don't know about sales listings, it would be nice to have it. Although I consider myself very satisfied with my Muray De Luxe and Zeiss Moviscop.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2018 11:13 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, the one on the left is the professional. The one on the right is the standard model.

Luigi, I think you are right that the professional model can not be used with the rewinders. It looks like only the standard model(machine on the right side of the picture) can be used with the Minette Rewinder Deluxe.

Terry, I have a pair of Minette rewinders I would sell you but it looks like they would not fit your machine. My rewinders also have a broken gear and it seems like I am not the only one.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001420

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 01:41 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason
I can see now that the rewinds would not be suitable for my editor, so thank you for the offer but not much use for me. Because of the very good build quality of the editor it is disappointing that the rewinds are not so robust.
From your pictures it looks like I have the professional model, but it has a 6v 25w bulb and no fan, but I am more than satisfied with it and it seems that replacement bulbs are available. Wittners offer them at nearly $20 plus postage [Eek!] but then everything they sell is ridiculously expensive. The one I have on order is a fraction of that and hopefully should do the job. If not I will convert it to take a halogen, or even a led.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jason, I did not know about the pro version.

Terry, I was wondering why you had the horizontal version but not with those features (fan, more light etc.), so I feared the hypothesis of a third editor with those features, but with the same chassis of your version. Maybe

What rewinders you will use with you version? [Smile]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 08:59 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi
I've got a set of Muray rewinds that I can use, but it would have been nice to have the matching Minette rewinds. However according to Jason they are not properly compatible with my editor and in any case it seems they are not very durable.
I think you must be right about there being a third model of editor, which is what I have got apparently and I'm very happy with it.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2018 06:51 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got the 6v 25w headlight bulb today and it performs perfectly, so replacements are plentiful and cheap (£2 - £3). My opinion is that this model is better than any other 16mm editor I have seen. No fiddling the film up and over rollers, the film just lays flat on the bed, so very quick and easy to load and use. [Smile]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2018 08:00 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great Terry; paid to look around.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, from the photos I've always seen it very bright, you confirm?
I use a model S-2 for the Super 8, and it has a really defined and bright image, even without very high watts.
Minette has produced some of the best small format editor viewers.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2018 01:54 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi
Yes image is bright and clear as you would expect because of the 25w bulb. Most,if not all, 8mm Editors use a 10w bulb and that seems to give adequate brightness.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2018 03:24 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the image looks great with a 25watt bulb, it makes me wonder what that 50watt lamp model would look like. I think I will keep an eye out for it.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2018 04:06 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason
Yes good point.
With a good proportion of Cine equipment having been made in Japan, I wonder what following there is in our hobby these days. It must have been very popular back in the day and I would assume that there must be lots of redundant equipment lying about over there and I'm sure there must still be a hardcore of enthusiasts as there is everywhere else.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2018 08:55 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a Japanese man who had dismantled, analyzed and perhaps modified his Sixteen, piece by piece. High quality of any pieces.

About Minette: I also use an Erno RE-904 NF for Super 8, along with his sister Goko RM 8008 are considered the best editor for Super 8. Well, I must say that the image is not comparable to that of Minette S-2 that I mentioned above. The Japanese machine is much brighter and more defined, although it does not have the features of the other.

EDIT: Here is the dismantled Sixteen: https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/chitoseame28/68115908.html

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC