8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Marc 300 lamps? A futile exercise?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marc 300 lamps? A futile exercise?
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in the Fumeo Marc 300 that CHC currently have for sale. I've heard that the lamps are very rare these days. I would like a machine that can fill a 16ft wide screen for some outdoor shows this summer. Would this machine be a foolish choice?

|  IP: Logged

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2018 06:12 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never used one, but what I read about it doesn't appeal to me. The lamps are not only rare and expensive (I'm not even sure if you can get them in the UK?), they also seem to have a short lifespan, while the light output starts deteriorating fairly quickly.

I would wait for a proper xenon machine, even though that probably won't happen before the summer is over. I'm happy for you to borrow my Elmo CL Xenon for a couple of weeks at some point this summer if that helps. Not keen on sending it, but since you live nearby, pick up should be do-able.

- Rob

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2018 08:33 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, thank you. I'll be in touch when I've got the dates firmed up. We should have a meet up and say hello anyway!

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2018 03:26 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Stuart, looking forward to it!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 18, 2018 02:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A well known exhibitor of railway films has been using a pair of Bell & Howell 666 for many years, these use the Marc 300, but has now had them converted to use the Xenpow HID 150 and reports excellent projection on large screen with them.
I can concur on this as I have a Bell & Howell 644 converted to use this new lamp. Not only is it very bright, but it is very white, this even makes faded and pink/red prints look better. The blue content of the lamp is responsible for this.

--------------------
Maurice

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2018 04:12 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, would the Elmo 16CL be a candidate for this conversion?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 18, 2018 04:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart

The answer is No.

The prime requirement on a projector for conversion is a still device, such as on some Bell & Howells. This is needed on the conversion to be re-wired to provide a supply to the newly fitted dowser. The Xenpow HID 150 always remains on, even when changing reels.

Another requirement is sufficient space to mount the ballast. This achieved on the earlier large Bell & Howell models by removal of the fan. It being replaced by a much smaller mains driven one. The new lamp is only 150 wats, against the original 1000 watt lamp used in these models.

The best models for conversion are the 642, 643, and 644.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC