8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Technicolor? No!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Technicolor? No!
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2018 04:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had a film on Eastman LPP would you stick a yellow Technicolor label to the can?
No? Nor would I.
I've just received a film which was originally Technicolor on 35mm and the 16mm copy I received had a British Technicolor label.
Yes. The colour was excellent, but no Technicolor edge markings. Further examination revealed the print was on Eastman LPP.
Removed the label now!

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, because the distinctive image characteristics of Technicolor are lost if the destination negative and print are composite.

But at least it was beautiful LPP and not faded!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2018 02:44 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it was LPP processed by the British Technicolor lab after they gave up IB printing.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2018 12:16 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Brian suggested - Technicolor labs kept printing film long after they stopped printing in IB - so you may even find red prints with labels that say "Technicolor" on the can or leader. Doesn't mean anything.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 09, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrongly assumed that in view of Technicolor's long and distinguished history, even non-IB prints would be their own stock. I have one or two non-IBs from around the late 1970s that are of superb quality, so I must check the markings. If their labs made use of LPP and other stocks, I'd say it was fair enough to use their labels on the cans as other labs would also have done this, but I appreciate that this could create the impression that the film is IB.

What's worse are the cases I've heard of when a 16mm print has been wrongly described as "Tecniciolor" because the seller has seen the logo on the credits, although I suppose it's sometimes a genuine mistake!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC