8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B&H Model 627

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&H Model 627
Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 18, 2018 03:58 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking at a really good condition example of this camera. The price is really good as well. I'm convinced it's a good camera, but I'm not able to find much info around. I'd like to hear opinions, if there are any.

The one thing stopping me is the lack of reflex viewfinder. It seems like this isn't a super affordable option in 16mm.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 19, 2018 02:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy
Have you got the model correct as the 127 is a still camera taking now obsolete roll films.
Are you perhaps referring to the model 70 DL and its variants?
If so, it's a great camera. I once used one to make a film for my employers.
http://www.tfgtransfer.com/filmo-page2.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Harley Jones
Junior

- posted August 19, 2018 07:41 AM      Profile for Harley Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Harley Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe referring to the GB Bell &Howell 627 which was a great 16mm camera capable of running 32 feet on one wind of the clockwork motor. Non reflex but very nice to hand hold and I used mine with an Angenieux L2 zoom with its own reflex viewfinder.

--------------------
Harley
www.cinenostalgia.co.uk

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 19, 2018 02:30 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Yes Model 627.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 19, 2018 02:42 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This model was made in the UK by Gaumont British under licence from Bell & Howell as were projectors at this time.

I have never used one but as Harley gives it high praise it certainly seems worth buying if you wish to film on 16mm.

Here are some pics of such a model on sale in France.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMERA-BELL-HOWELL-type-627-16-mm-GB-N-K25602-Circa-1958/202277032823?hash=item2f18a69377:g:aU4AAOSwgddamRrI

--------------------
Maurice

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 19, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it handle single perf film? Could it be converted to s16 if I wanted it?

Harley Jones
Junior

- posted August 19, 2018 03:46 PM      Profile for Harley Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Harley Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it handles single perforated stock on 30 metre/100ft spools. I used this model on a few films up until 1992 with the superb Taylor Hobson 20mm prime lens which was a standard fitment plus the fixed focus Angenieux 10mm. Conversion to super 16 may be a problem due to the twin turret style mount.
Might be worth checking with a camera/lens engineer like Les Bosher http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/
Or an engineer in your country?

--------------------
Harley
www.cinenostalgia.co.uk

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 19, 2018 08:03 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news about the single perf.

Less good about the conversion, but it's not deal-breaker. Aspect ratio is the real concern, but that can be compensated for with framing and staging.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 20, 2018 04:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy
If you are considering a Super 16 conversion perhaps the Bolex H16 camera would be a better bet.
http://bolexh16user.net/BolexH16Super16mmCameraConversionAdvice.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 20, 2018 01:44 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously the Bolex is the better choice, but it's also $500-1000 more. I'd prefer a Canon Scoopic, but it's also $1500. Those prices aren't feasible for me. It's better to rent an Arri, Aaton, or NPR at that price point.

The whole idea of a portable 16mm camera is being able to shoot something off-the-cuff. I don't know how many filmmakers trudge out to remote locations with +$2k cameras.

Are Bolexes more affordable in the UK and Europe?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 20, 2018 02:18 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy, or use cameras anymore, only projectors!
But from a quick look at eBay, I see that the Bolex cameras do vary in price. I suppose it's what you want to do with a camera that's important, the 627 was a good camera in its days, possibly now any spare parts are unobtainable. This could a future problem.
Bolex in Switzerland are still able to service the H16 models, and, I believe, have old skilled workers in some days part-time to actually make new spare parts as required.
The H16 has a three-lens turret and there are some superb lenses available for it. I used one in the early 70s and was most impressed with it.

--------------------
Maurice

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 20, 2018 02:50 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parts are an important consideration, I'm forced to agree.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2018 03:13 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could go for a Krasnogosk K-3; you can buy them converted to Super 16. They are semi automatic, and have a TTL viewfinder. They come with a host of accessories. I had a B&H 627, a very good camera, but the lens that came as part of it would only stop down to F.16, and my meter kept telling me I needed F.22, so sold it after shooting only one roll.

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 20, 2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually read the K3 isn't a well-made camera. Very loose tolerances and rough fit & finish.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 02:49 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not my experience; someone described it as 'built like a tank'. You can get plenty of info on it. There are dealers in the US who sell converted versions. The camera has been used by professionals.
http://www.k3camera.com/

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 21, 2018 09:43 AM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC