8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Philips EL 5000

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Philips EL 5000
Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2018 12:54 PM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone

Does anyone has an idea about the meaning of the "standard" / "nonstand" function knob on my "blue sky" Philips EL 16 mm projector? I have no cables nor manual and he has never been running, so i have not found it out, but curious to know [Wink]

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 15, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cant help you on your enquiry but what a great looking projector that is. [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 15, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick
The control seems to be at the sound head. If so, the control is to move the optics to read the sound track on the reverse side of the film.
Some 16mm prints are dupes so their emulsion is not on the standard side. It's only a superior control to achieve the best sound quality.

--------------------
Maurice

Lindsay Morris
Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2018 10:42 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice is correct. The control only slightly moves the slit optics closer or further from the film.
These are VERY nice machines to work with once you get your head around the reverse projection layout where the sound track is outer most when threading up.
They also have a Geneva intermittent sprocket so are very gentle on film particularly any with damaged perfs etc.
Very quiet in operation, easy to clean the gate and some I have seen had spool capacities of 6000 feet reels.
Many were used in Australia for Telecine work and once that ended a few found their way into the hands of collectors in their home cinemas.
Biggest problem was the original Philips lamphouses used 1000 Watt lamps so the light was nowhere near as good as a B&H with a 250W halogen. Due to the quite fat shutter housing it was very hard to get a halogen lamp to be close enough to the gate to get really good light but there were some 120V Halogens (cannot recall type number now) that the "spot" of the light was further from the mirror face than that of the ELC type lamp. So those lamps suited the setup better with the fat shutter housing.
The machines I saw were 110V models so for Aust use with 240V mains one needed a step down transformer and IF you used a hefty one you could use the 110V tapping for the motor and the 120V tapping for the lamp as 110V on a 120V lamp gave inferior light. You had to monkey with the wiring but it was doable.

--------------------
Lindsay

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 16, 2018 04:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have similar on my Kodak Pageant but the vertical control kept on dropping to its opposite setting due to vibration.
But cured by my great service engineer.

--------------------
Maurice

Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2018 12:45 PM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the useful information! [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC