8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Thank You Bill Parsons.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thank You Bill Parsons.
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 03, 2018 03:02 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before anyone gets too excited, Bill is still well and truly retired from projector repairs. However, i would like to say thank you to Bill as it was he who helped me in both obtaining and giving me advice on my new toy, The Eiki SL-2 super slot loader.

I had a call from Bill as he knew i was after another projector to use as a main work horse due to my NT1 getting on a bit. Just occasionally it has a wobble with unsteadiness on older acetate films but generally still very good. Bill pointed me to this auction which i put up in another thread. When i took delivery it was very clear to see that it had hardly ever been used and that the main motor belt had turned to goo. Also, at that time the exciter lamp would not light. Being mechanically happy to have a play i was a little worried about the lamp as i simply do not do electronics.
I sent some images to Bill as he was interested to see what it was like. His verdict by the images was very encouraging as he said it looked immaculate, especially for £149, he also wasn't aware that this one is the optical and magnetic version. Fortunately for me Bill had a belt for this model so he kindly offered it to me and i recieved it just one day later.
I removed the main motor and flywheel so i could get in there to spend an entire evening cleaning it all out.
Aside the goo on the pulley grooves and removing the tar like hardened grease off the main worm wheel everything was good. Just a little brush out of light dust and a proper clean of all the plastic surfaces inside and out.
Being a bit OCD i even cleaned each blade of the fan back to its shinny black plastic [Big Grin] .

A quick call to Bill to ask a question regarding how i could get over the exciter lamp and it was explained to me to start with the basics as on these the switches often cause a problem. I flicked the switches, (volume & mag/opt switch over),lots of times. At the time it didn't quite work. Tonight i popped the belt on and everything back together, plugged it in and the machine ran like a sowing machine. I removed all the front covers and removed, cleaned and re oiled each of the white rollers and had another round of flicking the switches and out of the blue it all came back to life, and no loud crackles or hums. I popped a short film on and (after working out how the slot loaders work, i gave Bill a laugh but wont share that one here [Embarrassed] ), i was pleased to see the film was 100% rock steady and the sound belted out.
Thank you Bill, even after retiring your a life saver for another one of my Machines which i have purchased thanks to you. [Wink]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ October 07, 2018, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2018 03:55 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks great Tom, I'm pleased the purchase turned out well for you and hearing Bill had a big part to play in the positive outcome.

A couple of questions - what lens was fitted and did you change it from 220v to 240v ?

Kevin

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 04, 2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reply Kevin, Bill has helped hundreds of people over the past years.
The lens is the standard 50mm plus the zoom converter. Later on, a nice 38 or 25mm will finish this machine just perfectly.
I spotted that the bulb is set to the low setting. I cant seem to find anywhere to change the voltage. Bill did spot that this unit has been supplied form the Eiki Dealer here in the UK so may already be changed, (i think), Where should i be looking for this please? On my 8mm projectors it is very clear to see.
There is also the remnants of a scope lens holder bracket which you can see under the lens. Not too sure if i can get the actual lens holder to go with is bracket or not. At present i only have two scope films so may use my NT1 for these as this one has the eiki scope bracket fitment already as well as a 38mm lens and of course the excellent lens you kindly sent me. I am almost spoilt for choice [Wink]

[ October 05, 2018, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 05, 2018 06:29 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice projector, Tom ! On an earlier model, the low/high bulb setting button is located inside. Maybe it's the same on this one.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 05, 2018 06:39 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Dominique, yes it is, i took off all the front covers and the switch for low/high bulb is inside behind the bulb at the top. Low was already selected. On 16mm shows i never find it necessary to use high [Wink]

[ October 05, 2018, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 05, 2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2018 08:05 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

Voltage changing on some of the Eikis is not as straightforward as we are used to on other makes of projector. As Bill said it came from a UK Eiki distributor so may have already been changed to 240v although you would have hoped they would place a 240v sticker over the voltage plate to indicate this.

OK - I do have tucked away too far to get to for now a model exactly the same as yours - I'll try to get to it in the near future but will have to shift a lot of films and gear out of the way first. In the meantime hopefully this may help:

-

The example above is a picture of my SSL-2 slotloading slim version which I hope may have similar 'innards' to yours.

The picture is the plate on the side of the mains transformer - as you can see it states it is a SSL-200v transformer and there is a small wiring diagram at the bottom of the plate - when mine arrived from France the setting was for 220v so I swapped over pin 1 and 2 in the nine pin connector block - this means the 240v UK live supply now comes in to the 240v primary tapping on the transformer, whereas before it would have been connected to the 220v tapping and given excessive output voltages from the secondary side.

One way to check if yours is already changed - have a look at the pins 1 and 2 and see if the brown wires are connected in line to each other - if yes this is how mine came when set for 220v - now my pin 1 is brown to yellow, and pin two is black to brown.

All this may be of no relevance at all if your projector has a different transformer type so let me know if it is not a match and I'll start to get to the other matching machine.

Kevin

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 06, 2018 12:35 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this information Kevin [Smile]
When i get home tomorrow, (Sunday), i shall take a look and let you know what i find. [Wink]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2018 04:52 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

I persevered and got to my SL2 this morning - please totally ignore the pictures and info I posted earlier as the transformer on your machine will not be the same as my slimline version. I'll leave the pics and info here in case it is useful to others with slimline versions in future.

Please see below the voltage plate picture and transformer on my SL2 which should match yours although I would hazard a guess your wiring block will have the wires in different positions if still set to 220v.

If you can upload pics of the wiring block on your machine it would be helpful to see the wires colours and positions and if they match mine.

I'll look into this more in the next couple days when I get the time.

UPDATE: I had a look at the service manual section on the forums - found on page 35 the nine pin connector and can confirm the double brown live supply input wires are in pin 1 of the nine pin connector on 240v machines, and in pin 2 on 220v machines - have a look at yours if it is in pin 1 you are already set for 240v. Please see picture below with my screwdriver pointing to the correct pin position for 240v use.

Kevin

-

-

-

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 07, 2018 09:57 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, Great stuff, and many thanks for this very useful info.
I have taken a couple of images and am ,(hopefully), correct in saying, it does look as though mine is correctly wired for 240 [Wink]

-

-

[ October 07, 2018, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2018 11:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Tom

That is good news, yes from the photo you are wired for 240v already - I'll email you in a minute with a reply to the other things.

Kevin.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 07, 2018 04:37 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin as you know I`ve been after a golden one for my son, but do you think an SL2 might be as good.

I asumed the SSL was quieter, and they have a very small sittingroom, like me.

I also thought I read somwhere the golden ones were easier on film with the improved gate.

Best Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2018 04:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mark

I don't think performance wise there is much in it as they have very similar features and the same illumination - I suppose aesthetically the golden SSL just looks the part being slimmer, lighter and possibly a full ten years younger than the SL - expect the SSL to be about £100 more expensive to buy though!

Kevin

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 08, 2018 05:57 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your lucky to find one thats almost new for 149 [Big Grin] [Big Grin] and only requires a belt and a bit lube and some use to get it going again. This one doesnt have bass control but as i go through an amp this isnt a problem [Wink]
Mark.did you not have a slimline model back along that you bought off DG?

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 08, 2018 09:07 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, Yes it was an SNT, lovely but usual sound levels for an eiki.

I thought it was a particularly quiet one when on the way.

My sittingroom is also very small.

I did miss a very quiet RM1 recenlty sadly.

The ideal thing would be to get another quiet later CL for Ryan really, one each plus one that I have for spares.

I don`t have to worry about what happens to my films now if I were to fall off my Perch, he has lined himself up for them.

Handy, though not so good for me !!!!

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC