8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and Howell 1698 speed problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell 1698 speed problem
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2018 02:39 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Chorleywood fair a couple of weeks ago I purchased a green Bell and Howell 1698, with the worm already replaced, for a very good price.

Unfortunately, all is not well. The sound is muffled, but more importantly the machine seems to be running slow. I compared a reel on both this new machine and my trusty black 1695, and the difference was noticeable, probably around 2 fps I would judge, ie I think the 1698 is running at around 22 fps.

Obviously it may need a trip up to Kevin Brown to get it all to rights, but one thing that puzzles me is that the voltage on both my machines is set to 250v, not 240v. Is that right? Though given the 1695 sounds fine, I guess it must be ok. I just wondered if it would account for the speed problem.

Sometimes, a machine is cheap for a reason.... Though given the worm has been replaced, it may be worth spending the money to have it all properly serviced. Assuming it's not one of the worms that's a fraction of an inch too large, which Kevin has warned me about, which would mean a ton of work needs doing to replace it again.

Out of interest, it has a sticker on it labeled 'Penrose Cine' from Streatham Hill, London, who may conceivably have carried out the worm replacement. I've not come across them before.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 16, 2018 03:12 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
Muffled sound could mean dirty optics. Is there not a setting for 240 volt?
Penrose Cine is a name from the past. So old that it's unlikely they would have had the worm changed, its only in these later years that the worm problem surfaced. No doubt they were the original suppliers.
A good idea would be to give Kevin a phone call
https://www.yell.com/biz/kb-cine-repairs-nottingham-8723722/

--------------------
Maurice

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2018 04:45 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd check the rollers that hold the film tight around the sound head drum. These should snap back to the closed position when raised by hand. If not, go to the back of the machine, note where the backs of the arms are that hold the rollers, and add a small focused spray of oil to help free them. Feel free to catch up with me at Harpenden this weekend.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2018 07:14 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simon, the rollers seem fine. I'm afraid I can't make Harpenden for the first time in years as it's my parents' 50th anniversary and they're having a party.

Maurice, I had a long chat with the excellent Kevin Brown, and he says there are ways of adjusting the speeds inside the case, so his theory is that these have been knocked out fo alignment at some point. He says the voltage selector won't make a difference to the speeds, but that it should be set to 240v not 250v.

I'm sending the machine up to him next week for a proper check over.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 20, 2018 10:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Chris.
Perhaps the two speed pots have been messed about with by someone not qualified.
I am sure that Kevin will give your projector a thorough going-over, as he always does.
I will shortly be collecting my two Bell & Howell 655 TQI which he has brought up to modern standards with new worms and ELC lamp conversions.

--------------------
Maurice

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2018 03:44 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An update on my 1698. The projector has now arrived at Kevin Brown's and he has checked it over for me. This may be a useful cautionary tale for others. While the machine has had a new worm fitted previously, it is one of the dreaded ones which are a fraction of an inch too large. Kevin says that over the course of a feature film it would heat up, expand, and potentially jam the mechanism.

Whoever fitted it also got the timing wrong, so that the loop restorer would function while the claws were still engaged - ouch.

Kevin is going to put all this right for a very reasonable price, as well as fitting a three bladed shutter and a varispeed feature so that the machine can run at any speed (very useful for the silent films I mostly collect, which are shot at a variety of speeds rather than just 18 or 24).

But the moral is don't assume that because a B+H has a new worm that it has been done right by someone who knows what they're doing! To fit a replacement worm correctly is definitely a job for a skilled professional with the right tools and jigs.

The machine was cheap to begin with, so I am not unhappy overall, and will end up with a fine machine at the end of it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 03, 2018 04:02 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, the voltage set to 250 v doesn't affect the speed (due to the kind of motor of "recent" machines) but the brightness of the light. Projectors are (or more correctly were) always set to the next higher voltage than the current one to protect the bulb. I assume the voltage in the UK is 230 v as on the continent so if you can set your projectors at 240 v, it's better.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 04, 2018 01:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
When Kevin has finished you will have a projector to be proud of.
Those awful worms do keep turning up, and as you say, a newly fitted worm is no guarantee. Unless, of course, it's one fitted by Kevin. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC