8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Color Filters - South Pacific

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Color Filters - South Pacific
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 24, 2018 05:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought "South Pacific" from a fellow member, and had completely forgotten about the use of colour filers at times. I found the interesting comment on the internet.

In his autobiography, Joshua Logan (the Director) takes great pains to explain that he went along with the idea of the color filters with the understanding that they could be easily altered if they proved unsatisfactory.
Assured by cine-photographer, Leon Shamroy, that the color changes would be subtle, Logan was shocked at the blatancy. Since previews were already paid for and the film was over budget, studio executives were unwilling to spend "three months in the lab to make the color come out right."
Logan does not place the blame on Shamroy, who "had not been allowed in the lab to check" on how the color changes were realised. He does find fault with George Skouras (the Executive Producer) for placing "financial considerations over technical quality."

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 24, 2018 01:30 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's sometimes painful to watch the strong unnatural color hues in South Pacific. Less painful but noticeable was the use of multi-colored filters in Dracula Has Risen from the Grave. There are scenes with the Count where there are clearly three separate colored sections in the frame.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Roy H. Wagner
Junior

- posted December 13, 2018 12:05 AM      Profile for Roy H. Wagner   Email Roy H. Wagner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have personal history regarding the “dream sequence” in South Pacific. I know Josh Logan claims he didn’t went the filters once he saw them. The truth is that tests were done by Shamroy during pre production. The filters were built specifically for South Pacific by Harrison and Harrison. There are six of them. I inherited them from Shamroy. The studio borrowed them from me to make the new DI. We tried to make a print from the original camera negative. It continued to fall apart. We then did a DI to preserve a new film element. Logan saw the test of the filters during pre production and approved the purchase of the filters. The studio would never have approved those filters without testing. Shamroy hated them. Once photographed it would have been impossible to alter photo chemically. Digitally the tin type transition in Sound of Music’s opening was fixed digitally. The choice was made to preserve the Logan color sequence for South Pacific. I hate them as much as you do.

--------------------
RHWASC

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 16, 2018 09:35 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy,

Thank you so much for sharing the correct information about those filters. It's greatly appreciated.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC