8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Handling Vinegar Syndrome Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Handling Vinegar Syndrome Film
Eric Bowen
Junior

- posted January 04, 2019 01:16 AM      Profile for Eric Bowen   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Bowen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a Moviestuff Retroscan Universal and I have a friend who has some World War II 16 mm gun camera footage which he would like to have scanned. The film has vinegar syndrome and is badly deteriorated. Sending it to a specialty laboratory is not an option at this time, at least not until we can identify segments of special interest. Does anyone have suggestions and recommended supplies for handling this film in order to keep from damaging it further and which would give us the best chance to recover a usable scanned image from as much of it as possible?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2019 09:06 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one had shown up yet,it should be fine for me to chime in. [Roll Eyes]

I believe your Retroscan should already be the most pratical choice for now. Since it is capstan-driven,this should be gentle enough for moderate vs films.

But to be on the safe side,try scanning it at lowest possible speed first. Let's see if the film can withstand that. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2019 09:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, so long as the film is flat enough to run through the machine without scraping anywhere in the image, and as long as you clean all the parts that come in contact with film when you're through, in theory at least you should have no problem doing this.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC