8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Slugs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Slugs
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2019 05:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst looking at some 16mm features for sale on American eBay, among the seller's attributes to his film for sale were the words:-
"No slugs".
What are slugs?
The only ones I know are the ones which eat my strawberries before I do.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 17, 2019 06:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, it usually refers to short clips (a few seconds long) like "coming soon", "our feature presentation", etc.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 17, 2019 02:02 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My interpretation of this is different to Jean-Marc's, but I've tried a search that seems to reinforce the one I had in mind. My understanding is that "slugs" are lengths of leader (usually white, to add visibility) that were put in features or TV shows to indicate where commercials should be (or had been) inserted. That's (e.g.) stated under "TV print" heading of this page: https://16mmfilminfo.com/fstock.html

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

William Davis
Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2019 02:20 PM      Profile for William Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, Your answer is correct - "slugs" refer to leader (can be any color) spliced in where the commercials were removed. If a print had never been run at a TV station it will have a few frames with something like "place commercial here" or "insert commercial" printed in - not spliced in - to indicate where the commercials should be placed. After the original broadcast of that print - when the commercials are removed - they are replaced with leader (slugs) to indicate where to place the commercials for the next broadcast.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2019 03:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, gentlemen.

--------------------
Maurice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2019 03:01 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A thought. If the seller says "no slugs", would that mean the feature for sale was not an ex TV print?

--------------------
Maurice

William Davis
Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2019 05:05 PM      Profile for William Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people - including myself - sometimes - but not always - remove the slugs from prints. I find some leaders - including plastic and fiesta leaders warp and I just remove them to allow the print to run better when projected.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 17, 2019 06:23 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice - That's a tricky question. My interpretation, if there's no reference in the text to whether it's a TV print, would be that it IS a TV print - or at least a print used by a TV station. If it's not a TV print, a reference to slugs seems irrelevant. But I can't rule out that the seller always says this when there are no slugs, even if the print was never screened by a TV station.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2019 07:52 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a chuckle when I first read the headline. Where I come from, a "slug" is slang for someone of low regard, you know, a lazy, worthless POS who can not be relied on.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC