8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Welcome to...RED PRINT theater II

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Welcome to...RED PRINT theater II
David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2019 10:08 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello fellow film fiends !
...Once again I will review one of my finest Red prints from my film collection !
With film synopsis , reviews and fun facts !

This month's selection is …..

-

A greedy developer unwittingly hatches a gigantic baby moth upon Tokyo, while Godzilla strikes once again.
One of my very favorite GODZILLA films !

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

A greedy developer has placed huge machines to suck dry a part of the ocean near Tokyo so he can put luxury condos there. After a storm, a giant egg washes up on the beach nearby and is immediately put on public display. The developer's plans go awry when he disrupts Godzilla's rest and the monster goes stomping through Tokyo again. It's up to the elderly Mothra, and then to its two offspring, to save Tokyo from destruction .
LOVE IT !!
This one is considered one of the best Godzilla movies out there, but with that aside, I've been wanting to see this movie, and after finally getting around to watching it, it's actually pretty good. I mean, it's not extraordinary, but it's still worth watching.

But now on with the plot: long story short, Mothra's egg washes on the beach and some corporate businessman wants to buy the egg just so he can put it up as an attraction in his amusement park. Two twin faeries show up and warn him to have the egg returned, but he ignores them and even tries to capture them. In the meantime, a news reporter, news photographer, and professor also find out about it and are determined to help the faeries and Mothra before anything bad happens to the egg. Later, Godzilla naturally comes along and interferes, leading to a serious grudge war between the two title monsters.

My thoughts/defenses on this movie: okay, so the monster battles aren't great, but they're certainly not disappointing at all. In fact, the idea of Mothra against Godzilla apparently did sound like a step in the right direction for Toho, in my opinion. Yes, I know Godzilla is such a klutz in this movie, aside from the fact that his mouth is kinda wobbly in this one, but we certainly can't blame him 'cause the guy in the Godzilla costume can't see a thing. Okay, so the ending isn't very climactic, but it still leaves you with a good feeling.

In conclusion, this is one Godzilla movie that I think that all Godzilla fans should give a try/give a chance.

P.S. To all those who think this movie is bad or overrated, I strongly disagree,it does have some of the better special effects - in color - ( faded on my print ) .

I've got a lot of GREAT STUFF to showcase in RED PRINT THEATER !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o18YpjEvMWM

[ July 21, 2019, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: David Baker ]

--------------------
Dave

|  IP: Logged

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2019 02:03 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely amazing!!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 21, 2019 09:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red though it may be, there is no mistaking a classic Godzilla, they were all corny but great fun. We recently purchased Godzilla Vs The Smog monster on disc, (aka Godzilla vs. Hedorah). I bought it when i saw the rare super 8 copy for auction on ebay, it went for a good high price due to its rarity but it was in German, great colours on it though. So as i remembered it as a youngster and had to buy it on the DVD format. The quality of the DVD is actually very good.

Great review David. Such a shame about the colours but still good fun though. [Wink]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 21, 2019 05:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great choice for Red Print Theater, David. Very nice screen shots. I've always liked this one, even as a 200' Ken Films cutdown that they released in scope without mentioning that a scope lens would come in handy.

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Vannicola
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2019 11:58 PM      Profile for Joe Vannicola   Email Joe Vannicola   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Godzilla VS The Thing at a drive-in when I was nine years old. I remember suffering through the movie The Long Ship just to see it. I saw it recently and it was like going back in time. Not as good as when I first saw it, but still very enjoyable.
Speaking of those Ken Super 8 cutdowns, I had both of the Ghidorah films back in the early sixties and wondered why they were in scope. Super 8 scope lens were't available until about 20 years ago, if I'm correct.

--------------------
Joe

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC