8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and howell 552 problems (mostly exciter lamp)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and howell 552 problems (mostly exciter lamp)
Young He
Junior

- posted October 11, 2019 09:06 PM      Profile for Young He     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I recently bought a bell and howell 552 for a decent price, and managed to get it to mostly work without problems. The forward, reverse, lamp, still, and sound work for the most part without too many problems, but the exciter lamp does not light. I could get the lamp to turn on with an external power source, but it doesn't light in the projector.

All the tubes appear to light (I can't see if the tube with the shield lights) and the sound works (I used a flashlight as a botched fix to test the sound), but the exciter doesn't light. The two cables going to the lamp appear to be shorted together, but I'm not sure if it's intentional.

Is there a common problem with B&H exciter lamps, and if so, is there a fix that will probably resolve the issue?

There are other problems such as what seems like excessive noise when the volume is turned up, the main drive belt slipping when the projector is started, and the film sometimes getting stuck and accordion-folding in the projector, so I would really appreciate some help with that, but they're minor problems compared to the exciter lamp flat out not working.

I've already tried the service manual and searched online, but I can't figure out the problem.

Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 12, 2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Young
I have a similar model which is a 535, this has valves, but is a manual thread.
On my model the exciter lamp only operates when the amplifier is on (and warmed up) and the projector is running.
Your comment about the exciter lamp wiring does sound if it needs further examining.

--------------------
Maurice

Young He
Junior

- posted October 12, 2019 08:30 PM      Profile for Young He     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the reply. I believe I had the amplifier turned on when I tried testing the bulb, but I will try again soon.

Also, if it isn't too much to ask, what is the voltage of the pins when the exciter lamp isn't connected?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 13, 2019 02:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Young
The 552 uses the BAK exciter lamp. 4volts, 0.75amps.
https://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampbak.html

--------------------
Maurice

Young He
Junior

- posted October 13, 2019 01:28 PM      Profile for Young He     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but I was wondering what the voltage was when the lamp was disconnected. I probed it the other day and it read 13vac, but was 0 volts when the lamp was connected. The exciter lamp recently broke out of the blue (I might have moved it around too much?) so it would be helpful to see if there's a difference when the lamp is connected vs disconnected when it's working properly so I can test until I get a new one.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC