8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » METROPOLIS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: METROPOLIS
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2008 05:50 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still looking for a reasonable / decent print of this Fritz Lang film.

Happy with Std 8; Super 8 or preferably 16mm.

Thanx.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2008 09:13 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David --
Be careful - there are a lot of AWFUL prints of Metropolis out there... I've actually never seen a decent one... One other thing to be aware of is that most of the prints are a super short version (90 mins or thereabout). The KINO DVD (R1 - not sure who released the R2 version) is the restored version and runs 124 mins and looks terrific! ... (Hopefully sometime they'll take the newly found footage and make an even more complete version). Sadly, the Kino version was never printed in 16mm - only 35mm....

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2008 04:23 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the 'heads up'. I am aware of the difficulty with this title, and even passed on a questionable Niles print some time ago. From the pictures sent to me, there was the typical Niles lack of contrast, with features of peoples faces almost indistinguishable.

Best regards,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2008 05:01 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Niles & Thunderbird were known for washed out faces in their print's. Especially the Super Eight ones. I only did business with Tom once at Thunderbird. I bought a Super Eight feature print of "March Of The Wooden Soldiers". I returned it for refund because it was so washed out. I later got one from Niles but it was not that much better.

Speaking of Metropolis I did watch the Kino DVD last fall and it was superb. Yes, a new one will come out with the newly found lost footage after they work magic on it with computer's.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC