8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Aliens - Uncut Theatrical on eBay now. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Aliens - Uncut Theatrical on eBay now.
Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 10, 2018 06:57 AM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who are interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16MM-FEATURE-Aliens-1986-James-Cameron-Sci-Fi-Classic-LPP-Color-Mylar-Print/153016256117?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D201310 17132637%26meid%3Db8f7256688754525a13405a21e44299d%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D7%26sd%3D153015075735%26itm%3D153016256117&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

|  IP: Logged

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2018 04:06 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16MM-FEATURE-Aliens-1986-James-Cameron-Sci-Fi-Classic-LPP-Color-Mylar-Print/153016256117

US Link

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2018 12:02 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bids have now gone up to silly prices again for that copy.

I say that because the film looks faded and has some green tramline scratches on it.

Stupid price to pay for a damaged print. [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 11, 2018 01:42 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, yes i see the emulsion scratch. [Frown]

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The description says, that there are emulsion lines; so it’s no surprise...
And I think that a scan cannot reflect the real colour.
There are Super-8-prints which are really blue...

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2018 11:27 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
The film is sold by the film phenon Louis Franchetti

These types of film stock being mylar tend to get scratches easy

I think the print is beautiful

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 12, 2018 03:32 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this print and the color is great. There isn't a faded frame to be found.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 02:05 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The price seems about right to me especially nowadays prices seem to have skyrocketed. ALIENS was made in 1986 so there cannot be any fade. Probably just timing for the cool picture it is.

However, this looks like a push in from the hard matted 1:85 film. Here is a screen shot of my ALIENS super 8mm print which you can compare with one of the scans.

-

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 04:35 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay chaps i accept that the apparent purply fade may be due to the screenshot scans. However it does not change the fact that the print is damaged with tramline scratching.

Also Mylar stock is not more prone to scratching anymore than the the other film stocks.
They are all equally vulnerable to such damage and wear. [Smile]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 13, 2018 07:03 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair to the seller they started off with a low price of just under $50 reading the description so you cant argue with the listing price. What it goes for is up to the buyers and good luck to the seller;)

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 10:35 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Stock is marked LPP with a Tri,Cir,Tri date code of 1986 which I guess would match the theatrical release. What is seen may be the scans or actual color lighting of the scene?

Having also watched this print, I don't recall the emulsion scratches being distracting, and they are not everlasting, as described. However, I guess everyone holds a different level of what is acceptable. Some have no issue with fade and/or scratches, while others cannot bare to sit through those flaws.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 13, 2018 01:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would imagine its very difficult to expect any 16mm, (or 8 for that matter), without any scratches at all on it,after all, this print is 32 years old now. [Wink] I'd love to get this on 16 or 8mm but unfortunately, im one of the stubborn old farts that wont pay stupid prices for any film no matter how much i wanted it but for those who do, good on bidding for this one.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 02:27 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people are just being overly too fussy, if you want something mint and perfect buy a blu ray player and a video projector. I don't consider the print damaged if it has emulation scratches that word is too extreme.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 06:06 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any print that is scratched whether emulsion or base side is a damaged copy.

No ifs or buts or exceptions to that fact !

I know because i am a professional projectionist with 49 years experience behind me. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Also these days there is a good chance that the Blu-Ray transfer may or will be of much greater image quality not only in terms of lack of visible damage but also colour rendition on definition and overall contrast and steadiness on screen that any existing 16mm or Super 8mm prints.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 14, 2018 06:45 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, i agree with you to a degree if the film is a few hundred dollars but when its near a grand you would want perfection. Or at least i would, so as you say, rather than pay for a damaged print i would indeed buy the Blu ray and project a perfect image for less than $15 [Wink]

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2018 07:23 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree ,Mylar stock is indeed prone to more scarching because its thinner then other stocks. Collectors prices 2000 is alot but for ebay im not surprised.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 14, 2018 10:14 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say the mylar prone to scratching issue is only worth worrying about if you tolerate projectors that are liable to scratch ANY print. If they don't, you can relax unless something goes wrong!

Note the bluish colour on the 16mm prints reinforces that in this instance it's actually correct for the Super 8 prints to be somewhat bluish. I once saw a reel that wasn't quite right because the colour was too warm!

As I struck lucky when this was released and bought a copy that was fine in every respect, I'd be reluctant to 'upgrade' to 16mm even if I saw a more affordable copy, partly because as Larry has pointed out, you lose quite a bit of the edges of the picture. I recall that when I showed it to an audience at home, it felt like the first time that everyone was watching 'the film' as opposed to an 8mm version of the film.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 16, 2018 12:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that some of the later stocks scratch easier, ployester LPP and this one here listed. Woulfld this not only become a problem if your projector is worn or has problems as Adrian said?

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2018 04:42 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nonsense ! Mylar stock regardless of how thick it is no more prone to scratching than any other stocks.

It's poor film handling and poor equipment cleanliness that is the cause of scratching.

We showed films on mylar stock for weeks even months and it left our site with no visible scratch damage evident after all those runs.

We did not even need to use Filmguard to "protect " our prints.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2018 01:52 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see it sold for $2,000. Thats £ 1,484.29p UK.
Plus $ 97.65 postage.

WOW !!!

That amount paid for a damaged copy. Well shut my mouth ! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2018 11:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with David regarding the myth that poly stocks scratch more easily - the poly base despite being thinner is the toughest stuff you can possibly put through a projector, to the point that when projecting poly a lost top loop on a single claw Super 8 machine can just as easily break the projector claw as damage the film perfs.

What is true is as poly stock is thinner it is possible with some lenses (not all) for both the base and emulsion side to almost be in focus at the same time - hence any base lines and emulsion scratches will show more clearly on screen than with a thicker acetate based stock.

As a side note in case anyone fancies owning a nearly complete (just reel one missing) 35mm feature print of Aliens feel free to drop me a PM message - or if you have reel one I'd be very interested in buying it to make mine complete.

Kevin

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 21, 2018 04:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prints of ALIENS are liable to have had plenty of rental usage, so I suspect the leading bidders were thinking that they would have great difficulty finding a 16mm print in better condition.

Good point from Kevin - that I've never seen made elsewhere - about base scratching being potentially more in focus than on acetate stock. Some polyester prints are remarkably thin even in comparison to others, so a base scratch could sometimes be unusually close to the emulsion.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2018 11:27 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
poor film handling and poor equipment cleanliness cause of scratching goes for every type of film.

Its Nonsense to think all stocks are equal in regards to scratching.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2018 12:31 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well then Brian , why not do " the scratch test " on two of your prints and take pics to prove the point you are making ?
I'd love to see the outcome , so this controversial thread can be put to rest .

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC