8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Here we go again: Star Wars for sale on eBay (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Here we go again: Star Wars for sale on eBay
Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2018 09:57 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Despecialized version is of surprisingly high quality, I watched it projected in my home cinema and it was a knockout.

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2018 01:47 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an authentic, legitimate version of the original presented as an "extra" on certain DVD releases.

Sadly, it is letterbox and looks appalling.

And the LD versions at 480i

Despecialized..hmmm...interesting... [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 13, 2018 02:45 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i understand it, there are now no original 1977 versions available to buy. Lucas made sure of that. There must still be a few around on laser disc and VHS. (not too sure about the DVD versions), but today it is not available. Our cine films are probably hated by George Lucas.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 07:14 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-IV-Hope-Limited/dp/B000FMH8UI

Tom, have a look at this (product description and reviews).

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, the Despecialized edition is made from bits of laserdisc, DVD and even (I think) some scanned 16mm/35mm. There's a great YouTube video about the making of it, including how some sections are made up from still images, with rotoscoped moving images in front of them. Everything looks as it would have if you'd been to the cinema when Star Wars was very first released. The whole project is a startling labour of love, right down to the soundtrack which has been mixed into a very close approximation of the 1976 Dolby Stereo release, complete with original sound fx.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuart, any links to this?

[ August 15, 2018, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 14, 2018 03:51 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite interesting to see:

https://youtu.be/b-wXMWxoQDg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmy%27s_Despecialized_Edition

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2018 02:02 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGrXO2RDzLg

Amazing.

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2018 03:54 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you found it Rob, impressive isn't it!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2018 01:45 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't sourced a Harmy Despecialized version, but what I have is the Team Negative 1 scan from 35mm release prints. What's most remarkable about the latter is how grainy it is.

Which brings up a very significant point about Harmy, particularly if you've watched the video linked above: the Despecialized Version claims to be what audiences saw in 1977, but that's true only in concept. Obviously, what he's done goes far beyond reconstruction and deep into restoration and enhancement. Audiences didn't see that crisp and clean of a movie in 1977.

So if you REALLY want the real deal, you need the "Silver Screen Edition" from Team -1, in my opinion.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2018 09:09 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find all this quite fascinating not being particularly informed on the history of the film. Obviously George Lucas knows what is happening. Did he give it his blessing or was it done without his authority? I think it's time I dug out the old Laserdisc and gave it a viewing.

--------------------
Dave

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2018 08:00 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, all of it is clearly renegade. And finding downloads is anything but straightforward. The only reason I can assuage my conscience in having this bootleg is because I own so many licensed copies of it on other media, and I consider it a "substitute" media under copyright "Fair Use."

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2018 02:36 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://archive.org/details/StarWars1977_201707

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2018 04:42 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, that's a very interesting link, and it sure is the correct version... highly compressed, and destructively so.

The movie file I have is MKV format and nearly fills a Blu-ray disc, so roughly 22GB.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2018 03:17 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
someone bought the Star Wars for 3775.00

I hope they have a projector

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2018 10:34 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At that price I'd be frightened to death to let it see the light of day!! Wonder if someone on the Forum bought it?

--------------------
Dave

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 19, 2018 05:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My super 8mm Star Wars from Derann is dated 1989. So which version is this? the original ones or the altered version?

--------------------
Winbert

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2018 01:15 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, it is the 1981 re-release, which is essentially the original 1977 version but with the main title now changed to Episode IV: A New Hope, and a few minor audio mix changes.

The Special Editions with major alterations appeared in 1997 for the 20th anniversary.

Different version, including the original 35mm Dolby prints and original 70mm 6 track prints have slight differences in the audio here and there.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 20, 2018 03:06 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob.

BTW I am still happy with my tiny miny 8mm but excellent color. I don't understand people buying faded prints for high price while the 8mm LPP prints are available. This happened a lot in Gone With the Wind case.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2018 06:28 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Winbert, don't tell them! It will drive the price up for the Super 8 copies!

(Says one who will probably never own this.)

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2018 03:13 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed Star Wars here in the UK on 35mm in 1977 and yes the prints had a fair amount of grain. So in order to be "authentic" to the original release the grain would have to remain along with some slight print unsteadiness in some shots. [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Peter Biancardi
Junior

- posted September 28, 2018 08:45 AM      Profile for Peter Biancardi   Email Peter Biancardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys need to dig harder, there are various 35mm scans of all the Star Wars films. Google Project 4k77 to start.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2018 09:32 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was one of those of a certain age that saw STAR WARS in my local cinema. I remember the grainy desert scenes very well and wondered why that was. I also recall the light blue boxes around the TIE fighters particularly. Subsequent viewings reveal a lot of 'shortcomings' in the look of the film. I also saw the 'special edition' in the cinema and whilst those sorts of faults were fixed Lucas decided to shoehorn in a lot of clutter. There must be a happy medium where a new print could feature cleaned up effects and perhaps some re-done but not changing the content, as it were.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2018 03:43 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
collecters seem to like these titles I have 2 I am going to be listing soon
mad max 2 in scope

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 28, 2018 04:09 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the film when it came out way back in 1977, honest folks how can you remember that far back? [Big Grin] I cant remember any faults at all, as I and everyone else were to engrossed watching the film. [Big Grin]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC