8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » 2X Kowa Lens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2X Kowa Lens
Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2006 02:27 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all may i introduce myself!My name is Thomas Powys-Keck from Clapham Village nr Worthing West Sussex England!I have just joined the forum.My interest lies in 16mm movies and equipment,however i have 2 Kowa lens's which i would like to sell!The first one says Kowa Super Prominar-16 1:1.3/50 221212.The second one says Kowa Super Prominar-16 1:1.5/65 125314.Has anyone any idea how much they are worth.The actual lens's are fine,but the black paint on the outside is a bit scuffed.Regards to all

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2006 11:59 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Thomas

I can't help you with your lens query, but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Clapham village is just a couple of miles up the road from me, I'm in Worthing, good to know of another cinephile in the area!

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to know you Mike,nice to know that im not the only movie nut in the area

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

Welcome to the Forum.

I do not know about these
lenses. However they seem
to be Zoom lenses with different
focal lengths which would vary the
size of the projected image.

But for some reason, every
time I hear the description
Kowa Super Prominar, it harkens
back to Anamorphic - wide screen
lenses which are manufactured
to decompress the frame in
Anamorphic filmed images.

Is there any other
description on the outside
of the lens? Is there any
description that is stamped
as 2X Anamorphic?

Come to think about it,
it sounds more and more as if
you have two Anamorphic Lenses
on your hands.

Does your lenses look like this
in the link?

[URL=Lens ]lens[/URL]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2006 04:00 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,and thank you for the welcome!No they are not anamorphic,they are standard lenses,i held them in front of my bell&howell and my victor mod 40,and you just get a normal picture.Also in my collection i have a Ross Expandascope lens!When fitted it gives a picture of about 25ft wide,from a throw of 12ft huge picture!Also a SOMCO 16mm 4inch f/1.6 made by infrared industries inc.Santa Barbara USA.A 4 & 1/2 inch(114mm)Super Rosskote projection lens.Any info on these lenses would be welcome.Regards Tom

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,

I am surprised.
So these are not zoom lenses
either?

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael!
As they dont fit any of my projectors i have no way of telling if the are zoom lenses,as i said when held and focused in front of my projectors i get a normal picture,but smaller than my own.

Tom

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2006 04:38 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I missed that point Thomas - Sorry.

Are these fixed lenses or
is there any adjustment that permits
you to twist either expand and decreases
the lens barrel?

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2006 05:52 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,yes there is ample adjustment,rather like the B&Howell TQ111 lenses,perhaps they fit an 8mm projector.
Tom

Thomas Powys-Keck
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2007 05:54 PM      Profile for Thomas Powys-Keck   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lenses sold..Tom

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 06, 2007 05:31 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
These are defintely std lenses and non zoom.

The Kowa Prominar range of lenses were used and sold by Eiki for use on their 16mm range of machines.

Thomas, good to see you on the forum. Did you get that other issue with uploading sorted.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2007 05:21 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,

Let me echo Mike's welcome. Sussex is growing stronger by the minute - must be the clean air!! I am just up the road from you in Southwater near Horsham.

I am just embarking onto the waters of 16mm, having spent a lifetime with standard 8 and the last few years on super 8 too.

It will be interesting to chat and hear your views and experiences with 16mm. Do you shoot film, as I do, or collect prints - or both. I will be doing both.

Enjoy your membership.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC