8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » I would like to get into 16mm, what do you guys recomend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I would like to get into 16mm, what do you guys recomend
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2007 04:53 AM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I would like start to get into 16mm films, so what do you guy´s recomend, I see ebay has projectors starting as low as 9 bucks.

I would like to start of with al real cheapo projector to give it a try. I´ve already updated my super 8 projector, but found a few 16mm films that I would like to try out.

So I dont know nothing abosolutely nothing about 16mm but would like to give it a go, so what do you guy´s recomend.
I know if I´m going to get one from ebay to stay away from bell & howell (possible broken worm gear) but I see real cheap eiki machines.

Are there any light weight machines? (a typical 31 pound 16mm would cost me over 80 bucks to get here by economy mail?)and that means over 6 weeks wait.

Can anyone offer me a good cheap machine? (I mean real cheapo give away dream)

thanks
pablo

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 01, 2007 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo, first, try going to or even phoning, schools or even hospitals or local government centers, firestations, ambulance stations or even police stations, first etc that were going 25 + plus years ago where or near to where you live and ask if they have any old 16mm machines or even films lying around in cupboards etc.
Theres a very good chance you may stumble upon a decent and very cheap projector, even be given one maybe with a few films thrown in.
Worth a go and could be a good cheap affordable way to try it out.
Or do you have a free ads paper too look in or put a wanted add in, always worth a try.
best wishes Mark.

Jeff Taylor
Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to 16mm collecting the projector is generally the least expensive part of the deal. The real money is in the films, and I wouldn't advise risking them on an "el cheapo" projector when a good solid Eiki SSL or Elmo 16CL can be had for less than $100 if you shop wisely. Save up and get something that will last, where you have at least a chance of getting parts, and which will be kind to your films.

--------------------
Jeff

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2007 08:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo,

The Bell and Howell 1500 series is old
by today's standards, but they were true
work horses. The best I found in that series
was the 1574. It was manual thread and
had separate volume and tone controls.

The drawback on this model is that the
nylon worm gear had a tendency to create
a fissure that could eventually develop
into a major crack.

To my understanding, replacement worm
gears that are made out of improved
material have been available by KMR electronics
in California. Other than that, it would
be to locate a technician or a knowledgeable
person on how to repair them.

They had a 3 toothed claw that produced a
rock steady picture.

In the Kodak line, the 250S model was one
of the last in their production, and that
had the capability of switching from 3 blade
to a 2 bladed shutter. Also Kodak went to
using Halogen lamps with this model and
the brightness is improved.

The downside is that most of these projectors
are fitted with 2 inch lens and the 1.5 inch
lens are more difficult to locate. Also, the
sound exciter lamp is not being made any longer.
So it would be wise to stock up on any that you
would be able to locate.
These are very easy to thread and gentle on film.
Most commonly, the 125Tr is a model that surfaces
alot. But the 250s, also has a reverse mode.

The Kodak CT 1000 is an Elmo projector upgraded
by Kodak. The Elmo CL is a basic machine, but it
is guided by rollers. The take up gear had
a tendency to break.

The Eiki 3585 is perhaps the best and last, due to
improvements and excellent quality sound, ease on film,
and excellent picture. I don't think that
they are being manufactured any longer, but
they were the best and the last of the Eiki's

The Eiki SSL slot loads can scratch the film.

Search through the Forum and check out threads by
John Whittle. He is very knowledgeable of film
and 16mm.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2007 02:47 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo,

Just to say that I agree with everything that has been said so far.

Although "relatively" new to 16mm, and having looked for ages for a first machine, I ended up with an Ampro Stylist Major Mk3 - optical sound. I remembered that many many years ago at school, they used Ampro machines, and I was always impressed with the ease of threading - manual only - and the standard of engineering.

These machines are quite old now, but seem to last extremely well. I now have 4 Ampros, 3 for 16mm and one for 8mm. The other 2 machines for 16mm are both Stylists; one is the Educational model, and the other is the Standard model. They all have valve amplifiers which sound superb in my opinion, and none of them has had to be replaced.

If you are looking for a reliable, built like a tank, well engineered, retro machine, I don't think you could go far wrong. They come up on eBay 'fairly' often, and it shouldn't be too difficult to pick one up in excellent to mint condition for very little money.

There's actually an Educational model on eBay right now, which looks to be in absolutely excellent condition. Just take a look. It's item No. 330128585655

I can honestly describe all of mine as excellent to mint, the most expensive one being the Major, for which I paid the princely sum of £54.

Give it some serious thought. Also you might like to talk to Dave Whistler (david@oldtechnology.com) who is also an Ampro enthusiast.

If, however, you are looking for a more modern machine, forget it, but they do look impressive. Check out my photos of the Major on the Forum, March 18th and 28th, and you'll see what I mean.

Welcome to the world of 16mm.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC