8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » WANTED 16mm shipping case

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WANTED 16mm shipping case
Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 01:29 PM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for a 16mm shipping case. The old kind with the two straps that keep it closed. Need one big enough to store a 3x1600 feature. Thanks! onedelorean@yahoo.com

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2013 11:55 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, away from email at the moment but we should "talk." I have one, however, it had a vinegar print in it and is as old as the hills anyway - probably acidic of its own account. What do you need this for? If you're looking for trustworthy storage, you don't want the one I have, but for display, or something temporary, it's probably fine.

Adam Deierling
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 08:45 AM      Profile for Adam Deierling   Email Adam Deierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill, I am wanting to use it for storage of a feature. Its a polyester feature so I don't know if that would affect it or not. But I just like the way those look and thought it would be a cool way to store the print. I have another feature print that I bought that came with one and was thinking it would be cool for my other.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 06:35 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... that's a good one. Anybody else have an opinion about the acidity of a 50-year-old shipping case and its safety around polyester film? Bear in mind that it was exposed to vinegar for years, and though the vinegar itself might have dissipated, the fibers might be more acidic as a result, I don't know.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2013 06:59 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't take a chance with the case; I would have thrown the case out upon receipt of the print. 99% of the cases I have received over the years were so beat up or dirty that they were thrown away. I would use a plastic shipping case for multiple reels of a polyester print. The only issue with those is that the sponge inside sometimes deteriorates; in that case I simply remove the sponge.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

James Romero
Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2013 11:26 AM      Profile for James Romero   Email James Romero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film Forever Company carries an 'Archival Film Box' that not only protects your film from dust, light and dirt but is also made of a material that absorbs film off-gassing. This helps retard and even prevent vinegar syndrome from occurring.

To find out more you can write them at:
thefilmforevercompany@gmail.com

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 10, 2013 08:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just give it a soak with something thats alkaline based. These cases are tough, and I don't think they're porous, so it'll
just be a surface odour.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC