8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Jones Socket for Ampro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jones Socket for Ampro
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All
I recently acquired an Ampro Stylist which has a Jones plug fitted and so I need a female socket to make up a power lead. The plug fitted has four contacts plus a round pin, which I believe is the same as the early Bell & Howell fitting. Can anyone out there help?

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2013 03:45 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one the other day on Ebay, it was a lead from the projector to the transformer (is that the correct word? I am having a senior moment)

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2013 04:17 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Robert
Must have gone. I've been watching Ebay without luck so far
Terry

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 09:13 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, try Gordon Ogbourne of Ruislip, he carries spares for Bell & Howell projectors. 01895 638062.

Failing that, I once saw a projector offered where the seller didn't have the lead like you, and he used a lead as used in Eumig projectors and some types of electric kettles: you would need to change the fitting inside the projector. These leads are called C15, it's a last resort, but would get your Ampro up and running.

P.S. also try Classic Home Cinema as they carry some Bell& Howell spares.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 10:46 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for your suggestions Robert. I will certainly try Gordon and Classic Cinema. Don't really want to try changing the plug as it is very difficult to get to. Let's hope they can help.
Kind regards
Terry

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't blame you Terry, it's not something I would wish to tackle. Good luck.

Just been looking at this site and it says that Ampro used the same lead as Bell & Howell, but the wiring was different.
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65999

I have just come across this site. They seem to have the plug compatible with your projector. You need a copy of the service manual for your projector to see the wiring. You might find a copy deposited in Manuals on this site. Hope this is of help.
http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/38541-8404/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlHkZW%252b%252bquYUElzrOk8zvbAGuJEXacC9c%3d

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 27, 2013 02:55 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just checked the photo of the Molex line socket and it looks identical to my Bell & Howell mains lead.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 05:27 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice
Nice to hear from you again. Yes it is the same as the B&H. Can you help me?
Regards
Terry

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 07:17 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, same bracket but different wiring, so you need either to obtain an Ampro lead or buy a Jones plug and do the wiring yourself, if you can find out which wires go to which terminals, otherwise you could destroy your machine and risk electric shock.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 28, 2013 07:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry
If you buy the socket I am sure that Martyn Stevens would be able to supply wiring details. He is a member of this Forum and has a web-site called Cinerdistan.
http://www.cinerdistan.co.uk/ampro.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 28, 2013 12:03 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Robert and Maurice. I certainly wouldn't undertake the wiring connections myself. I am pretty hopeless with electrics. I don't like anything I can't see!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC