8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Jones plug/socket for Ampro

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jones plug/socket for Ampro
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2013 11:02 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all who contributed to my search for the Jones plug. Finally got one (brand new) from CQ Radio Supply, 4092 Errante Dr., El Dorado Hills, California CA95762. Could be of help to future searchers of these hard to find connectors.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2013 03:54 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Terry.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 05:00 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robert
I still have the problem of sorting out the wiring though. It seems that all four contacts on the plug fitted to the projector are connected. I've found the Earth/Ground but it is very difficult to get to the back of the plug to see what's going on. The saga continues.....

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2013 10:07 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are other Ampro collectors on here, I thought someone would have been able to help you with the wiring. Have you tried Oldtimecameras, they list manuals; sometimes they have the service manuals for old projectors.

You need to read this thread Terry.
http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=256&Itemid=47

[ September 09, 2013, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Robert Crewdson ]

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model Ampro is it?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2013 04:17 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
It's an Ampro Stylist. Good news! - With the help of a local TV repair shop I have managed to get the wiring sorted out and the projector is now FULLY WORKING! I was worried that the amplifier would need work, but it fired up and the sound is excellent. The projector is in amazing little used condition and now the pride of my collection ( together with my RCA Hollywood and quite a few others) The sound volume on the RCA Hollywood is low. Can anyone help me with that? If anyone requires help with the wiring of the Jones socket to power an Ampro I can now help. Don't hesitate to contact me.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2013 07:41 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you are finally up and running Terry.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2013 08:15 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robert - Me Too! Where abouts in Wessex are you? I'm in Weymouth

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2013 08:46 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in what was North Berkshire, on the Wessex/Mercia border. You are probably thinking of Hardy's Wessex, rather than the ancient Heptarchy.

Bit of info here with pictures of the Ampro projectors.
http://www.binoculars-cinecollectors.com/html/body_16mm_pr_page2.html

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2013 10:12 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I had Hardy's Wessex in mind. Thank you for the links. Very interesting. Where on earth do you find them
Terry

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2013 10:29 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ampro projectors look very well made.

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2013 05:35 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,

I have the same 1950 Ampro Stylist (not super, major, eductional, just stylist). I have had challenges finding the right belt to fit. I bought the belt on Ebay and have tried several different sizes and hope the last one that is being sent is the right one to accomodate the metal spring loaded idler pulley .

I too had to work on the cinch jones connector because my exciter lamp cord was frayed to bare wires (I've since replaced all that).

The tube amp on mine sounds like it will work and doesn't hum or anything bad like that, but I only get very faint noise from the photocell. Flashing a light on the cell yields a very faint "thaaa" with the volume turned up rather high. I'm guessing the cell is bad??

But glad that you have yours working!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2013 11:27 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello James
Luckily the amp on mine is pretty good but I found that fitting a new Photo Electric Cell made a huge difference to the quality and volume of the sound. As you probably know it is possible to adjust the position of the PEC by loosening two screws so when running a film it is easy to get the ultimum sound volume/quality by turning the holder clockwise/anticlockwise and in and out. It is good practise to mark the holder and projector body in the original position so that you have a reference point to start from and go back to if all fails. Would love to hear the results

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC