8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » 16mm Bell and Howell Filmosound projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Bell and Howell Filmosound projector
John Stockman
Junior

- posted July 31, 2014 03:36 PM      Profile for John Stockman   Email John Stockman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 1940's era of Bell and Howell Filmosound projector for sale. Works good. Not sure about the sound output, as I have no reels with sound. I see the tubes glowing, so all the connections should be good, and should work. New bulb just put in, and works very well. Very sharp images show. Easiest loading projector I have ever owned, and wish they were all like this one. Very heavy, about 50 pounds including the case around it.

Complete listing is here on ebay, where I have it listed also:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231295596680

I have about 4 reels of films taken in the 1950's about the grand canyon, Colorado Springs area including seven falls, and camping areas. The play well on the projector.

|  IP: Logged

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2014 01:08 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with this. It seems a little overpriced, though. For anyone in the UK, I have a B & H boxed projector in good working order, not requiring a transformer, which I'm willing to give away to someone who'll give it a good home. I need the space and they'll have to collect.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 01, 2014 06:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The American Bell & Howell model 185 was made between 1949 & 1951. The British equivalent is the 621, it came with a mains transformer for UK use.

--------------------
Maurice

Eric Shepherd
Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Eric Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Shepherd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the B&H a couple of years ago from Ebay for £5, lucky Sunday bid. Stripped the casing off intending to use the projector as a display feature. Must have taken me two days. I couldn't fathom a way to hold the reel arms in place without the case, so reluctantly it went to the tip. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 11:59 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another projector bites the dust.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2015 11:59 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another projector bites the dust.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2015 02:49 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with this, i tried to give away a working model (no transformer required in the uk) on this forum a year or so back and didn't get any response!
Still got it if anyone interested.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 24, 2015 02:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In its day the British made wooden blimp model was one of the best 16mm sound projectors on the market. However, its use of a governed series motor does not go well with modern house wiring which most now have consumer units with cut-outs whereas in earlier days the units would have had wired fuses.

Most of the "blimp" models are now over 50 years old and will not run on modern house circuits if they have any electrical problems.

The first model was the 601 introduced in 1948, later models were the 621, 622, 623, 626, 630, 631, 636 and 640.

In 1962 the new style 641 and its brothers made an appearance. "Blimp" models did continue manufacture until 1975 (8302, 8399, & 8636), these models were called Maritime and were for AC/DC for use mainly on ships which were still using Direct Current.

I have an 8636 from 1975 which runs OK but eventually may have to be scrapped as it's possible that no service engineer will want to repair it.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The potential problem with the wooden cased Bell & Howell projectors may be the brush motor. If the electrical insulation starts to fail a small earth leakage current can flow tripping the consumer unit RCD. This prevents a possible fire or electric shock of course. Later projectors use mains induction and low voltage motors which tend not to suffer insulation failure - time will tell of course.That said old Bell & Howell's have very long lives. I would recommend running them as cool as possible avoiding using the 1000W lamps and using them in well-ventilated rooms.

--------------------
Paul.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 07:09 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan,
PM sent. I realise it may not be the 636 but not important.

--------------------
Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC