8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Moving into 16mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving into 16mm
William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 11:43 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi im thinking about starting to collect 16mm as well as Super 8 can anyone recommend me a good projector to me also if someone in Uk has one for sale at a reasonable price i am interested thanks.

edit: would it be worth my while waiting until the film fair in Blackpool to get one?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 12:33 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William, I think a good all round machine is the Elf NT series, I've found them very reliable and robust machines with good light output and sound and fairly quiet. I like the Elmo CL machines too as quiet runners but not as good sound as the Elf's as they have more adjustment on the sound levels, the Bell and Howell's are noisey and the worm gears crack but find a good one and they play splicey films, much better than the others. You should easily find one at Blackpool as normally a few there (and you can run it to test it)but if not there are plenty about on ebay, dealer lists, , Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 01:07 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark thanks for that really good advice is the NT1 a good model then? there is one on ebay at moment. Also what would be a good reel size to go for as not sure of average size reels a freature would come on. Thanks again

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 01:41 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William, yes they are very good machines, I've been using them for years and never had a problem, they are kind on films too. Most features come on 1600ft reels and go up to 2200ft which most machines will cope with including the NT series. If you are buying from ebay then make sure it's packed well as the cases can easily get cracked or worse! Belts are readily available and not too expensive, bulbs are 250w and again cheap and easy to get hold of. The only thing I can think of to look out for is when rewinding a large reel they can slow up and sometimes need a bit of help, not a major thing as they always play the film ok. If
you are going to Blackpool (which isn't far away) I would look there first, you can test it and take it home instead of risking postal damage, , Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 01:56 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark thanks again think i will wait until the fair then as would be good to have a choice and also being able to see it working for myself will be a big plus. One thing i can do however is start buying some reels [Smile]

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2014 03:28 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi William I will have plenty of projectors and films at my film fair my stall will be in the centre next to the bring and buy ,I will also have lots of empty spools as well

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted October 22, 2014 03:36 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will always have a special love for the Elmo 16-CL ... The slot load makes it so easy. Bought my first one for about 150 euro I think it was (believe it was including shipping too)

Mine has optical and magnetic sound. My second one, has only optical sound.

I would go for these or the Eiki slot load maybe, though I never used them myself.

It's such a nice format, 16mm. Feature film on mostly 2 reels is really nice

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 02:03 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David will come see you there. Vidar that brings up another question on 16mm format was there more releases on optical sound rather than magnetic like super 8. I noticed with the NT1 it is optical sound only.

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 02:12 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David will come see you there. Vidar that brings up another question on 16mm format was there more releases on optical sound rather than magnetic like super 8. I noticed with the NT1 it is optical sound only.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 23, 2014 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NT2 is opt/mag. However, I am never completely happy with the earlier Elfs. They do not seem to like old and warped film and if their loop former has seized up damage to prints can result.

My suggestion for a 16mm sound is the badged Rank Aldis, this was made in Germany by Bauer, it is also available as a Bauer, many of which turn up regularly on German eBay.

--------------------
Maurice

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 03:03 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice i never look at other ebay sites never thought to maybe i should start as i have probably missed out on some great items. Would you say there are more optical releases on 16mm although the right move would be to get a projector that plays both formats.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 23, 2014 03:46 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have over 1000 titles on 16mm, and probably only a half dozen of them have magnetic sound tracks.
I bought a splendid Bauer P8 from German eBay, and I also have two Rank Aldis models. They are well made and run very quietly.

--------------------
Maurice

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 06:47 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are almost no 16mm release prints with magnetic tracks. Those that I have encountered were always dual track (magnetic track only covers half of the optical one) where the the magnetic track carried a dubbed version.
Magnetic track only releases, are usually specialty things like product/company presentations, titles with a low print run that made an optical track not economical.
So an optical only 16mm projector will serve you in 99% of all cases.

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 08:51 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-pedestal-projector-/251684894861?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item3a9996b88d

Is this too much for a first timer [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 23, 2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all, providing you have room for it. Lamps could be expensive and possibly difficult to find.

--------------------
Maurice

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2014 09:15 AM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently moved house with a very large back garden and my Wife has allowed me to have as much as i want to build a screening room (providing the apple,pear and damson trees remain) so will definitely have the room. No i think something a bit more sensible is required though.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 26, 2014 06:58 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William I`d just go lower end for now Eiki NT1 etc.

Ian at Perry`s had a nice affordadle late Bell and Howell TQ3 with an ok gear recently.

Best Mark.

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2014 03:17 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an EIKI SNT-1 slim line from David Guest today was great to go up to his house and see all his films and projectors.Playing first reel now [Smile]

Michel Boulet
Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2014 10:23 AM      Profile for Michel Boulet   Email Michel Boulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Pageant 250 series...the best, manual threading, gentle on film, great dynamic sound

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC