8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » WTB B&H 1500 Series Shuttle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WTB B&H 1500 Series Shuttle
Wes Jamis
Junior

- posted August 22, 2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Wes Jamis   Email Wes Jamis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New to this, and believe I have the right part, but correct me as needed.
B&H 1592 projector needs the small part with teeth that advances the film.
Should be part number 31557.

Cheers.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 11:46 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Wes and welcome to the forum. I think the part you refer to is the claw, which is located in the gate of the projector and has two teeth.
Unless you are lucky you may have to buy a machine that is being sold for spares or repair. Are you confident that you can do the repair yourself if you find one?

Wes Jamis
Junior

- posted August 22, 2016 12:15 PM      Profile for Wes Jamis   Email Wes Jamis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it's already apart for split worm gear replacement, I think I can figure it out, haha.

The manual I have refers to it as a shuttle, and it has 3 teeth actually, but perhaps claw is more frequently used.
Not the best news to hear that I may need a parts unit, but not entirely unexpected.

Thanks.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2016 02:20 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wes, make sure you dont loose those tiny bearings on the end of the shuttle arms that the claw sits on.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 08:46 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wes
I think if it were me in that situation I would be looking for a working projector and keep the one you have for spares! [Cool]
But good luck and it would be good to hear if your project is successful.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 23, 2016 10:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1592 was introduced in 1978 and could now be around 38-years-old and no doubt many worn parts may need replacing in addition to the worm gear.

The three-tooth claw is made from hardened steel and should rarely need to be replaced unless it has been damaged, it is its two "brother" parts which will wear, the shuttle and the cam. These two parts ensure that the claw has its in-out/up-down movement 24 times a second when running sound films.

Replacing the worm should not be too much trouble if you have the service manual to hand, but it is the setting up, adjusting and phasing the relevant other parts and gears which can cause problems. These are all important as the 1592 is an auto-thread projector.

Many years ago I had a projector returned to me after a worm change and on receipt the auto-thread would not set up the loops correctly, this I had to do by hand. It was sent back after the engineer admitted that he had not phased the gears correctly.

I do hope that all goes well. It's something I would love to be able to do, but I now have a splendid engineer who keeps all my projectors in tip-top condition.

--------------------
Maurice

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 01:56 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate to have full training from a Bell & Howell engineer living locally. By simply following the manual, I would never have been able to master the job. It is easier to see someone else doing it and learn from them. I only replace worms in my own projectors, I don't do the job professionally.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2016 10:57 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several youtube videos showing worm gear replacement.

Wes Jamis
Junior

- posted August 26, 2016 09:32 AM      Profile for Wes Jamis   Email Wes Jamis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, used one of the videos as a guide.
The claw is definitely broken, as the hooks at the end are gone, and it appears that the bearings have gone as well.

Have a couple of possibilities for parts, and hoping they will pan out.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC