8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Bell and Howell 601 Gaumont FS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell 601 Gaumont FS
Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very old and untested B&H 601 Gaumont 16mm sound projector. Some 70 years old, can send pics to email addresse. UNTESTED due to age, as in I wont plug into the mains as i am no electrician.

£60 very heavy so collection from Bristol or can pack etc and you arrange a courier. Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
Don't attempt to plug it into the mains. I'm pretty sure it is a 110v machine and needs a transformer, but as an electrician you would know that I'm sure.
Does it come with the transformer and leads?

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2017 12:58 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes this is 110 volts I have the transformer to fit this projector and leads these amps sell for decent money as they use them to make guitar amps I have sold a few of these just for the amps and put the rest in the bin the 601 and 621 were the best ones made I have a 601 mint cond in original boxes and receipt which my father bought brand new

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2017 09:59 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Guys.
I am loath to 'dump' this projector but it has to go. Is the transformer i integral, or was it a seperate item of kit??

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2017 02:25 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
It was a separate unit and very heavy. This was always a downside of these early Bell & Howell projectors. Three heavy units - projector, transformer and speaker cabinet. Having said that they were well built and pretty reliable. Definitely not something to just dump.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 15, 2017 03:08 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only does it need a transformer (1.25 KVA), it will need a decent loudspeaker of 16 ohms, and a special Y lead to connect to projector & amplifier each separately.
The lamp is also a special for Bell & Howell projectors, normally a 750watt, but a 1000watt could be used providing the projector was running at sound speed (extra speed of fan.)

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2017 10:54 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original transformer had a rounded hump shape case. Later transformers had a squarer shape and a voltmeter. The correct power leads are a must.

--------------------
Paul.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all he leads to fit this

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC