8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » New to 16mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to 16mm
Ted Bennett
Junior

- posted April 20, 2017 03:27 AM      Profile for Ted Bennett   Email Ted Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am new to 16mm and would like some help regarding what projector to get. I am a cinema projectionist so I don't mind if they are manual lace up but would prefer a newer autoload.

Can anyone help?

makes and models would be helpful.

Also price range.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 20, 2017 04:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ted
If you are looking for a later model auto-load I would recommend the Eiki Slimline SNT range. These use easily obtainable projection lamps.
The later Bell & Howell models are very good projectors but have a distressing problem with an internal worm gear which tends to crack over time. Some projectors may be offered for sale fitted with replacement worms.
Fortunately, the Eiki has a metal worm gear and has no such problems.
You may find the video interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI9Kk-tSa-0

--------------------
Maurice

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 05:26 AM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ted,

The choice of projector, together with price depends to a degree on your own capabilities I believe.
Are you mechanicaly minded. Do you feel happy with doing maintenance on your machine? I ask because you mention you are an ex cinema projectionist. You may well be used to servicing!

If you want a reliable and easily serviceable machine, I would search for an Eiki Elf NT1 optical sound unit. These are very easy to self maintain, and also have service data and update info of the filmtek 16mm pages. The spares for these machines are available from many quarters, and purchasing an additional "scrap
for spares unit" provides many useful parts. The only downside to the Eiki machines, is the somewhat limited range of lenses for home use: i.e.25mm, 38mm and 50mm. A 63mm and above is more suitable for larger throws. A hard to find zoom lens or zoom adaptor is sometimes useful, but never as good a prime lens.
The Eiki NT version, has better quality sound, a faster "pull-down" and thus better light on the screen.
If you are mechanically minded, perhaps, look for a private sale where you dont pay a retail dealer`s inflated price due to added VAT.
A unit, priced lower, perhaps needing a little of your own TLC, will reward you in exchange for your time and care to cleaning and lubricating.

I have three NT units, all giving me good reliable service, can really recommend them. The later Black NT models being ideal.

Eiki have other earlier models, ST, RM etc, but I favour the NT.

I also own B&Howell machines, which are very well built, but may well have original worm-gear failure. Not an insurmountable problem, but requiring considerable time and care to replace and reset these mech`s. I find Bell & Howell units were supported with a very good range of prime lenses ranging from 25mm, 32mm, 35mm,40mm,50mm,63mm,76mm 80mm and 100mm.
The B&H TQ1 652 modified with ELC 250w lamp) is a beauty when in tip-top condition, great engineering equip.
There are other excellent machines (at a price) but in this world you `pays your money and takes your choice`

Hope the above is helpful Ted.

David

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes for the Eiki or Elf NT1. Straightforward machine, many spares available even some new and range of lenses. I have a pair and a spare plus parts and very happy. The NT 1 is auto-thread which works well, especially with leader.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Ted Bennett
Junior

- posted April 20, 2017 07:21 AM      Profile for Ted Bennett   Email Ted Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone!

This has made my search much easier.

Is 16mm like super 8 in terms of sound either magnetic or optical? If so the Eiki NT-1 is optical sound. Am I going to get frustrated later down the line as prints vary between the two or do prints favour one sound format over the other?

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 08:39 AM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ted,
16mm prints currently available, are optical prints, where as magnetic prints seldom turn up. The NT1 is optical only, but the NT2 does have magnetic playback!
I think you could dismiss the mag version as I believe the magnetic versions of the NT i.e. NT2 and NT3 were for those who needed to record their own tracks, the NT2 being an optical play also Mag play, and the NT3 optical play plus Magnetic Record/Playback.

David

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 20, 2017 08:45 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are projector models which have optical and magnetic sound facilities but these are more expensive and could cost more than a purely optical version.
Having said that, magnetic sound reproduction does not have the optical "hiss".

--------------------
Maurice

Ted Bennett
Junior

- posted April 20, 2017 08:46 AM      Profile for Ted Bennett   Email Ted Bennett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's helped! thank you

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 11:45 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ted,

I have an Eiki SNT-1 that I don't need anymore. I sent you an email.

Best,

- Rob

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 03:02 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, not wishing to hijack your thread but if Ted passes I may be interested. I'm just down the road in Worthing.

Thanks
Stu

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2017 03:35 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
welcome ted I can do you a good package I have bell and howells elfs rt rm and nt also have the 350 xenon and also got am elmo xenon 16cl and over 1400 features for sale as well as over 2000 shorts .I also carry spares for all projectors belts lamps all sizes of spools 400 800 1200 16000 2000 plus loads of comedy shorts and cartoons and I am cheeper than anyone on here you are you are always welcome to come and pay me a visit and have a demo thanks david

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC