8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Salvaging Elmo 16CLs - brand new but unknown condition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salvaging Elmo 16CLs - brand new but unknown condition
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 21, 2017 07:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have been contacted by the son of the owner of old photograpic store that used to supply me with the Elmoscope lens. He said that his late father has tens Elmo 16 CL in brand new condition. The OB has been destroyed due to the age.

He tested them but none of them were working. He assumed the power supply had failed.

He asked at not a bargain price, so I cannot just say yes and sell later. I need to make sure what is the market value for this projectgor when it is working or as parts.

So my questions:

1. Is the new compatible power supply available in the market? how much?

2. If I am taking them as parts, what is the most valuable parts? I know lens will not make a good price since it is a standard one, but what others?

3. Do you think stripping an Elmo 16 CL is really a big job or eaasy?

(ps: I was just hoping they were Elmo GS-1200 and I knew what should I do .....even only taking its standard 1.1 lens will give me some margin [Big Grin] )

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2017 01:57 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I dont have any answers for your questions but here is one thing to think about.

The rubber rollers in the Elmo 16CL in the film path usually turn to goo. So if you were looking at restoring one, that would be an extra expense. If you were just scraping a machine with gooey rubber rollers, you could sell the gooey rubber rollers to someone. The metal cores could be resurfaced with new rubber.

There are people out there who strip the old rubber off and resurface the rollers. If the rubber rollers in the Elmo 16CL were in excellent condition (not turning gooey and firm, that is somethign you could sell for a considerable about of money).

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 22, 2017 05:29 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He tested them but none were working
Ten projectors in brand new condition, and none working. How strange.
Perhaps they are 110 volts and he connected them to 220 volts.
The CL is a slot loader and is quite complex in how it operates, therefore, my opinion is not to consider them.

--------------------
Maurice

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2017 04:36 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Maurice.I have bought over a dozen used Elmo machines and never had one that could not turn on.

How do you have new old stock...where the box must be thrown away? I have bought machines that look like they were stored in a barn in their original box and although the box was falling apart, it was still salvgable.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 22, 2017 04:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, is not "ten" but "tens"....so I was just like in an Elmo 16 CL farm [Big Grin]

The projectors are in Indonesis. The stated condition due perhaps the high humidity there. I once found and opened box a brand new Sankyo 700. Upon my test, the projector just blew in a second. It is found out that the capacitor had melt due to the humidity and 32 celcius our normal temperature there.

So that might be the case.

Jason, you live in Japan which has sub tropical climate. Here in Indonesia, a nice metal, can get rusted after years although it is stored in a hidden dark room.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 23, 2017 02:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
In view of the climate conditions, I repeat my comment that you should not consider acquiring this large amount of projectors which are not working.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 23, 2017 03:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice. Yes since I am not really into 16mm, I am not considering buying them. I was just calculating what is the most valuable parts should I be allowed to strip them.

Supposed they are GS-1200, I will salvage the lens, belts (they are very rare), bulbs (original ESC will be nice), and lot of things [Big Grin]

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 23, 2017 04:52 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fellow Member Richard C Patchett sells many new 16mm parts including those for Elmo.
Here is a link which shows what is currently on sale. It may help you.
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/elmo.html

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 29, 2017 09:08 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an amazing shop this must have been. It's difficult to imagine a shop anywhere in the word that at one point stocked tens of a specific model of high quality 16mm projector!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC