8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Stills photography - digital and film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stills photography - digital and film
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have been getting some interesting comments from friends and people at work about my holiday photographs.

I shot about 8 reels of 35mm film in my SLR whilst travelling across Canada with my brother. Everytime we stopped in a town I got the latest reels developed at an hour service having two lots of prints made, one for me and one for my brother.

When I got back I had loads of photos and got them all sorted into an album and now, more than a week later, people are still asking me how I managed to get them downloaded and edited and printed off to such a high standard so quickly!

It seems that people have already forgotten just how convenient and straight forward real film is.

I guess this is what happened when Video arrived... [Frown]

Mike

ps. I do have a digital camera and it's great, think I shall be returning to the film camera for holidays though [Wink] .

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 15, 2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sentiments exactly Mike! The so called advantages of digital photography have been totally over-hyped. People say its cheaper than film, but have you priced out printer cartridges and photo paper recently? To me 35mm is much less bother, particularly as you can get 1 hour prints if you are in a hurry. I have zero interest in a digital still camera, and will probably stay with my 35mm Canon as long as Kodak are making the film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update;

Had a call from my Brother lst night to say that in a recent computer crash he lost [amongst other things] all the images of Canada he had taken on his digital camera. It seems he was sorting them into a file to burn a disc from so that he could have them printed off at Jessops, unfortunately the crash came before he had managed to burn his disc so now they have all gone.

He wondered if I still had any of the images he had emailed me, unfortunately I had deleted them all along time ago.

I guess that's that then, there must be a moral here somewhere...

Mike

[ June 28, 2005, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Mike Peckham ]

--------------------

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly right...film is best on all fronts. I gave a slide show recently along with a guy using digital...laptop and digi-projector. His equipment let him down...mine didn't. The other guy got a bit shirty afterwards with me..."you wanna move on mate..." Maybe not, thought I.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2005 03:07 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might of predicted the response to your posting Mike. The loss of your brother's images was nothing really to do with the product of digital but to the lack of foresight. I would add that I am as guilty as the next man.
You can get the best of both worlds by getting the digital images downloaded and printed using phot paper and not just inkjet and you can do that on the move using agfa.
One of the really key benefits is surely the lack of space that digital images can take up when travelling.
Like many others I prefer film but I also continue to use digital when appropriate.

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I agree there's a place for both mediums and I'm not knocking digital - it would be utterly foolhardy to do so.

I use both digital and film for stills photography but have now returned almost entirely to film for holidays and family, it just seems to be the better medium for that application.

Digital of course wins over on its ability to create an image that can be immediately uploaded to a website or emailed to a dozen people right across the world or indeed manipulated!

For me it's just a matter of not entirely abandoning one technology in favour of another.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted June 28, 2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Up until about a year ago, I would say that digital still cameras couldn't hold up against a real 35mm SLR, but I recently purchased a Nikon D100 and honestly, the quality IS BETTER than anything I have ever seen originate on 35mm film.

Sadly though, what happened to his brother is all too common. For this reason, when I travel and will be taking pictures I carry multiple flash cards, dump immediately to my laptop's hard drive and backup on a portable USB external hard drive. Then if the hotel's internet connection is good enough, I FTP the files up to my server.

I guess you could say I learned that lesson years ago. [Wink]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 29, 2005 08:16 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, Brad, you've GOT to elaborate on what you mean by "better." [Wink] I've not been so lucky to be able to closely compare film and digital shots, but I've heard a number of comments including ones about digital noise being mistaken for film grain (by people who were looking at photos and didn't know what source they came from). What's your take on that? Really, how do film and digital compare in terms of color reproduction, contrast, sharpness, etc.?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Trevor

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to use my digcam for things I'm selling on line but if we travel anywhere I always take my old Chinon Genesis III and it is reliable as can be. At the NZ film Buff Convention in Nov.last year I took all the pictures with this camera .When it comes to capturing things like,award presentations, I reckon my Chinon is far quicker than my dig. [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 01, 2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The professional digital SLR cameras with good lensing don't have any "noise" like the run of the mill "digital cameras" you find in electronic stores. Expect to pay around $3000-5000 US for a good one though.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 01, 2005 06:33 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, that explains it - I wasn't aware you were talking of digital cameras in the high-end range. [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 02, 2005 02:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
At 14.5MB per shot, it darned well better be! [Cool]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC