8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Question for Jean Marc or anyone in France

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Jean Marc or anyone in France
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 01:31 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

I'm off to Normandy tomorrow to stay for a week with my Brother in his derelict farm house. I'm planning on taking a projector to show some films of his children when they were little.

My brother is useless when it comes to anything technical so hasn't been able to tell me what voltage they are on. I am also wondering if a lead that I have from a projector that was imported from Germany will have the right plug on it for use in France.

Any pointers would be greatfully received!
[Smile]
Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 02:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Voltage here is supposedly 240V, but, depending on where you are, it can oscillate between 220 and 240.
I'm not sure the power cord from Germany will work. If you find an old plug, not grounded, maybe it will. Otherwise, check a local DIY store for an adaptor.
Where in Normandy are you going?

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 02:31 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jean Marc.

Thanks for such a quick response! Geoffs house is near Rouperroux. I’ve not visited him there before so I feel as though I shall be going on a bit of an adventure!

Nowhere near you I suppose?

Thanks for the advice about the plug and voltage, for some reason I thought France was on 120, don’t know why, I suppose it’s just something I haven’t paid much attention to in the past.

Mike.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 03:36 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that the war is over and that we have running water now, right?
[Big Grin]

I know where Rouperroux is, quite far from where I am and quite far from the region of Normandy where my family is from.

Have fun!

JM

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 05:31 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc.

Now I'm embarrassed [Roll Eyes] and confused [Confused] . I checked their website; http://www.songbirdholidays.com/index.htm [nothing about cine I'm afraid] but it does say they are in Normandy, and that is what I always understood, and their contact details gives the address as Rouperroux.

Hmmm...

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 03, 2005 06:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I should have said "the part of Normandy..."

Rouperroux is in Orne "département" (burrough), which is in the southern part of Normandy. My family is from the Eure burrough, much further to the north.

And now for some film/family trivia...

Before settling back to Eure, my family was living in Eure-et-Loir (just a stonethrow away) as, for a few years prior to WWII, my grand-father was the caretaker of the castle of Anet, where my Mum was born.

So, what's the film connection? You ask.

Watch the opening sequence of the Bond film "Thunderball". After some fake funeral, 007 has to fight his way out of a castle using a rocket jet pack. This is the Castle of Anet, and the little housing extension that you see attached to the main portal in the film is where my family used to live.

JM

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2005 06:46 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. Now I understand [Smile] .

Great little film related story there, I shall be watching very closely next time I watch Thunderball. [Wink]

No film connection but my Mothers family are also from Normandy, up until France was occupied during WWII they were living in a town called La Fresnaye [I think], there were also some family connections with Trenchbray though I'm not sure what. The family name was Pelluet. There seem to be a few still around there.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2005 05:53 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc

When did the war end? I thought after last week's vote it was just about to start again [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2005 06:49 AM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope the War has ended, I'm off to France later this week for a Holiday (Oh no not again I hear you say) just a little break in Brittany for a week and then off the Le-mans for the 24 hour race for the second week. [Cool]
I love France cheap plonk, excellent Food, open roads, nice people, in fact I think I should move the whole operation there. [Wink]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 06, 2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did the war end? I thought after last week's vote it was just about to start again

Oh, that's just a new war, don't worry... We, Rebels, are still fighting the evil Empire of Darth Chirac.

Hope the War has ended, I'm off to France later this week for a Holiday

Have fun!

then off the Le-mans for the 24 hour race for the second week.

Are you driving your "toy" there? Watch out for silly Brits driving like crazies and ending up in trees with expensive vehicles... [Wink]

I think I should move the whole operation there.

Haha! I challenge you to!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC