8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » laserdisc questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: laserdisc questions
Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I am a fan of old WB cartoons from the 40s and 50s and recently I've been looking into some of the collections that were released on laserdisc in the 1990s. Many of these cartoons have not appeared on dvd and come up only rarely on super 8 or 16mm. Does anyone have any advice about choosing a good used laserdisc player or any general warnings about the short-comings of this medium? Thanks in advance for your help. SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 09, 2005 09:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

I still use LDs a lot as several films haven't been released on DVD. The complete works of Tex Avery, uncut and uncensored, comes to mind...

I've been using Pioneer LD players for the last 15 years, their lifespan is 6 to 7 years with intensive use. But they are cheap to find (20-30 bucks) on the second-hand market from people who barely used them...

Autoreverse/Double-sided players are more comfortable but the single-sided ones appear to be less fragile...

Hope this helps,

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Jean-Marc. I appreciate your help. SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 09, 2005 04:15 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a fully loaded Pioneer last year on auction for 60.00. It's a 1993 model, looks like and performs like new. The auto A/B side players is great. I don't have to walk over and flip the disc. I found many LD package deals on eBay that average $3 or $4 dollars per LD. Recently I bought about 50 LDs at a thrift store for $3.00 each. I do like the big 12" Sleeves and graphics. Haven't found any toons yet except one Canadian animation LD which is very cool. But not as cool as seeing it on super 8! [Cool]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those interested in WB cartoons on LD might want to look for "The Golden Age of Looney Tunes."

They released 4 sets, each set having 40 hours AND I DO MEAN FORTY HOURS of classic cartoons from WB studios. Finding any of these sets would be the creme of the cropp. Or is that Kweam of the Kwop?

CG

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2005 09:41 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of laserdiscs, my collection is up for auction as well as my AC3 RF demodulator on ebay.

I don't have much in the way of Loonytoons but I do have some older Disney titles listed now and a few more to post during the week. Oddly enough I'm selling off the LDs to continue my Super 8 habit...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6404099716&ssPageName=STRK:M ESE:IT

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 14, 2005 04:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John, It would be good if you would ship to the UK?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2005 08:50 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

(Or any other 8mm forum member) If there's something you want, go ahead and bid on it, I'd gladly ship an item to Europe for a forum member. Don't pay for it right away, we'll figure out the shipping invoice and bill accordingly. Trading 12" plastic discs for metal reels with spokes. [Big Grin]

I don't want to open shipping world wide to the general public, too much time/headache involved considering the low return involved in selling used discs, but I would ship to someone here.

Kevin not a problem, bid away, if you've something in mind you're looking for i've a few more still stitting on the shelf. They'll be listed before the weeks out. Also I've several friends who are also thinking about offloading their LD collection. If someone's looking for a particular collectors title I don't mind passing the info along and making enquiries.

Regards, John

[ June 14, 2005, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: John Cook ]

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 14, 2005 11:12 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, John, I just added your Honey I Shrunk The Kids, Fantasia LDs to my collection. [Smile] Hmmmmm....now let's see if I can finds some cash around here! [Big Grin]

[ June 15, 2005, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2005 11:54 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dan, there's certainly no future in selling at these prices but at least someone will get some good out of them.

I haven't fired up a Laser Disc player in well over a year. I hope you enjoy them...

Now, how about selling me some Super 8 films at a rediculously low prices! [Wink]

Regards and thanks again, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 15, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John, Looks like Dan has just beaten me to the ones I was after [Mad]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2005 01:56 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep watching, I'll attempt to get the rest posted by the end of the week.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2005 07:07 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More cartoons out there dirt cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6408659158

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC